My car is leaking antifreeze

20

Asked by Feb 02, 2013 at 09:28 AM about the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5L

I brought my car to the shop and they can"t find the leak. Is this comment for a Jetta

When you say leaking, do you mean you see puddles on the ground, or it just keeps needing to be filled? And find another mechanic, any mechanic that just blows you off by saying he can't find the leak is either incompetent or too busy to want your business, He can pressurize the cooling system with the car cold and just LOOK. Common? That I don't know, probably not

106,475

It might be an internal leak from a bad head gasket. Is it running hot?

And is you oil overfull and a light chocolate color? We can help you if you answer us

20

Yes I sometimes find puddles in the driveway, I did check the oil and its fine and its not running hot.

Then it needs to be pressure tested. A mechanic can put a pump on the radiator cap and pressurize it with air and and simply look

20

Sadly they said they did! I have to tell ya I am a girl lol They said the only place they can't is other the heater which means they have to remove the dash the get to it to see ??? They inform me that it would takes hours the remove the dash ?

10

i found the solution to my coolant leak on a 2007 jetta 2.5l. The leak was from the temperature sensor gasket. I could see crusty dry anti-freeze around the sensor. When i wiggled the sensor it was loose. Steps: Remove air filter cover to access the coolant flange. Remove VW sensor connectors by tilting the little clip back with your thumb. Remove the sensor by sliding the u clip off. No need to drain any coolant. Pull out the sensor. Take it to the autoparts store and buy a round o-ring that fits snug or buy an OEM gasket.Then clean port hole, install sensor and u clip. It should be a snug fit. Reinstall air filter cover. Add some coolant. Done in less than 30 minute. Be careful washing off the old anti- freeze. If any water gets into the ignition coil it could burn it out. Make sure the 4" dia air intake tube does not pull off both ends. An air leak will cause the engine to stall after starting.

A very common source of coolant leaks in Jettas is the plastic piping that goes to the heater. The piping includes Ts, elbows, and various other pieces. Go to YouTube and look-up "VW Jetta coolant leaks". If that doesn't provide the info you need, try this URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4StAQ_wvzs

I replaced the coolant flange because the plastic had deteriorated and was brittle. This flange is on the top of the block with the coolant temperature sensor. That stopped the leak from that point. A few months later it started leaking in front of the engine from the oil cooler / filter plastic housing. The same type of plastic deteriotion. My 2007 jetta had 210,000 miles when the leaks started to occur. I should have changed the coolant flange and oil cooler housing at the same time. My jetta now has 245,000 miles and runs great with no leaks.