Stalls in drive but not reverse

Asked by Jun 16, 2017 at 09:53 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4WD

Thanks capt. Steve for the help I thought I had
found the problem. The safety neutral switch was
toast. I replaced it and drove just fine for about 15
minutes. Then the dash lights and interior lights
started going crazy and it stalled again.
Sometimes after I shut it off the turn signal lights
and airbag and high beam stay on but dim. I will
continue to trace the wiring harness. But if anyone
has a clue please advise. It's my only ride.

dont know your truck , is your shifter on column,, if so could be a ignition problem ,,just a wild guess

Either the neutral switch shorted the instrument cluster or you have a ground fault somewhere., those lights are ground commanded from the pcm to work. Somewhere you have a wire that is grounded that shouldn't be. But look for a burned wire somewhere. dim lights mean weak ground. Pull the cluster and check the wiring and connector behind it. try to start the truck with the cluster disconnected. IF it seems to run better suspect cluster.

Thanks I'll remove the cluster in the morning and go from there. I might even remove it tonight as it's been 104 during the day. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Harry I replaced the ignition switch already. Sorry it was stated in different question. New to this site but I think I figured it out.

Well new update I went out to remove the cluster. First time working on this problem at night. As I stepped up on the nurf bar the interior lights went out and the dash lights came on. So I tried this a few times and every time I stepped up the interior lights would go out and the dash lights would come on and when I would step off it would swap the dash lights would go off and interior lights would come back on. But only on the driver side . The truck was not running at the time. Key was not in the ignition. Going to see if this effects the truck while running.

Ok tried it with the truck running. As I stepped on the nurf bar the truck started to stall until I got off and it continued to run. Any idea where these 3 things cross. Or are they all affected by ground. I'll update as I go. Thanks for all help.

Sounds like you have a pinched harness. I am going to bet its where it goes over the top of the transmission. When you step on the running board it's getting caught between the trans and the tunnel. Probably near the back of the engine by the firewall. Could also be the harness that runs along the frame near the body mount right behind the drivers front tire. Also check along the frame where the upper control arm bolts in. somewhere in that area you might find a foil wrapped harness. these can end up out of place sometimes and get cut.