car wont start

30

Asked by Nov 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL

i have a 2001 jetta 2.0 automatic and the starter recently went out i replace it 2 weeks ago. it was running fine until
yesterday and i had it replaced again. it ran once and now it isn't turning over, the starter is still good i had it tested.
and the battery is good as well. the car gets power but wont turn over. could it be a bad ground, a bad censor? i
thought it could be the distributor cap but if it were that the engine would at least be trying to turn over. i know a little
bit about car but this has me truly confused me. i need some help

Forget distributor cap. Nothing to do with what you describe. OK Let's go with starter and battery good. Several things to try, try putting it in neutral instead of Park and see if it will start. Foot on Brake. Then there is a possibility the igniition switch, or key is not sending the correct program to "brain" or ICM. Then starter soloneid, cable to starter, ground. Some of these questions such as yours, lorenderrow, are very difficult to diagnose without being at the car. Make sure even though we assume your battery is good, there is no corossion on terminals, and they are tight.

30

yes the battery connectors are good, no corrosion ans the connectors are secure. i tried putting it in neutral and starting it as well as park. the solenoid is good because if i hit it with a hammer to see if it would start and it didn't. i'm leaning towards it being a bad ground. or i'm going to check the ignition switch with a voltage meter it if it doesn't read 12v it's bad. thank you for your advice. we'll see how it turns out. and yes i do agree with you it hard to tell when you don't have the car to see the problem

145

Is your seat belt plugged in?

30

I just tried to start it with the seat belts buckled and nothing happened

145

Just a try, I had that stupid issue with one of mine because of the sensor in the seatbelts lol

A Jetta won't start without seat belts on? I believe you Fastfem I just never heard of that.

9,275

Did you get the starter from Volkswagen, or did you go aftermarket? The Bosch electrical system is all multiplexed. If something has the wrong feedback, something else will go sproing.

30

it is an after market starter. I replaced the starter 3 years ago myself and everything went fine.

9,275

What about anything else electrical in the car? Everything runs off feedback, and if one thing is wrong, something else may well fail or act up.

110

I have a question if my 2000 vw passat light turn on everything in side work why dont the car turn on

190

hello i have 2000 Volkswagen jetta out of no where my car wouldn't start its been running fine until today i tried starting it and my key will turn over but it wont grab at all. and all the lights come on along with radio i have to unplug the battery because they wouldn't turn off i need help bad im clueless

90

I have the same problem right now, I have Jetta 2001. 2.0 automatic. Please be kind and tell me How did you solve this problem

40

My car doesttrun on

40

It turns over but it likeif it doesn't have gas

10

Ignition switch dugh . Simple test . Disconnect fuel line have someone try to turn over when u release the key from start to on position u will notice fuel rush out that is because ignition switch is not making contact in the start position

10

For some reason these cars have faulty ignition switches. I think vw did it on purpose . Cause no one wants to think that is what it is and buy the time u figure it out u have bought new cap /rotor/fuel pump/relays/starter/battery/ and whatever else these jokers suggest. If anyone else comes across this problem start with a new ignition first and save yourself a ton of money and anguish. 9 out of 10 times that's what it is

40

i have a 95 jetta all lights come on but will not crank or turn over when i first got the car it was used it fired right up now it wont i need some help

I have a 2011 jetta. It's has been running fine a couple of times I have driven it and the Cadillac converter light and a EPC light has come on then I have no power to go faster. Then this morning it started fine to go to work I leave to take my kids to school and it won't start. It will turn over but asks like there is no gas. Please help I need answers.

I own a 2001 - 1.8T but when my EPC light went on, I had to check a lot of things. But to start simple check the oil level. I have the feeling this is a Turbo motor and when oil levels go low it can be a problem. Also see if there is enough coolant.

I also have a 2002 Jetta 4 1.6, I admit I broke something and don't know what, I drove the car in a storm and water levels were high and when I tried to start the car the following mng then the starter gave me a whiiiiiiii sound then I took off the battery and connections to the starter. Upon putting everything back instead of putting the cable from the battery on the starter,I put it as a ground. Then when I put back battery terminals, an ugly smell and sparks came from the battery and all wires got hot. After realising what I did wrong, I put the cable on the starter but dashboard came on and engine could not kick. What did I destroy???. Plz help