00 Jetta sputters when i give it gas after a complete .....stop what can it be?

155

Asked by Oct 03, 2011 at 11:09 AM about the 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL

I had my jetta going on 7 months now never had a problem with it till recently ... when i first start her up n drive her the cars fine after a few minutes the check engine light comes on after a complete stop then when i give it gas the cars start sputtering and jerking ....i did a full tune up even changed the fuel filter and still it does the same thing ...id appreciate all the help i can get

155

Nobody can help???

220

when you did the complete tune up did you change the spark plug wires too?i was having the similar issue and the wires where the problem,sometimes they would kick in and when they did the engine light would go out like it should.

155

Yes sir I did

220

after it sputters and putts from the stop will it smooth out as you get going again then redo the sputtering from another stop and does it feel like it really doesn't have the power and get up and go it had when you got it?because mine also did that and it was a plugged catalytic converter,it idled fine but when i gave it gas to go it sounded like it wanted to die out,they slowly get worse but i took the exhaust off behind the cat and smashed all the stuff out with a bar and it ran like new after i cleaned out all the debris,cost too much for a new cat so busting the stuff out inside it was my option,also in case you are not aware of these jettas are known for ignition switches wearing out,causing headlights and windshield wipers and alarms to play tricks along with the engine light,just thought i would give you a heads up on that,im still processing in my head what to look for with your car but at this point im not leaving out a plugged cat

155

After a certain amount of time of driving it would start and when I would stop it would feel like it would want to shut off and when I would gas it it would sputter and then smooth out ...I took it to autozone they said its given me low o2 sensor reading and piston 2 and 4 misfire but they didn't really explain much after of course because they wanna rip you off

220

lol,of course,they need to get the big $$ when you can do it yourself or at least much cheaper,look up what you need to do and how much it would be to change the o2 sensor but wouldn't a plugged converter also cause the carbon to build and hold back back pressure causing the reading they are telling you,

220

i will give you a number tomorrow of a vw mechanic that can give you information you want for free,he's good and he isn't out to screw us folks like the dealers do

155

It can be low electricity low air flow low fuel flow I just can't pin point it...but I appreciaate the help thanks

220

i dont believe its fuel or air,does it come and go or onece it starts doing it it stayes that way until like the next day?

155

it doesn't stay like that it only does it after a while from driving ...when I change my air filter my check engine light went off but 2 days later it happened again and the check engine came back

220

also you can get a lot of good info from vvortex.com forums

220

v w vortex.com forums,sorry it didnt look right in the reply

155

I've tried that its been a month no one replied to my post

220

Catalytic converter failures typically fall into one of four categories: 1. Thermal failure (overheating) 2. Plugged substrate 3. Thermal shock 4. Physical damage Thermal failure is most often caused when excessive raw fuel comes into contact with the catalyst, and "burns" in the converter instead of in the engine. The high quantity of fuel generates temperatures well in excess of the capacity of the converter, causing meltdown of the ceramic monolith. The melted ceramic could block the exhaust path, leading to a significant loss of engine power. Visible symptoms include heat-related discoloration of the converter shell. Potential causes of thermal failure include: misfire, malfunctioning oxygen sensor, fuel delivery issue, improper choke setting/operation, and ECU malfunction. A plugged or contaminated substrate can be the result of an overly rich air/fuel mixture, radiator sealant, and oil or antifreeze entering the exhaust flow. The resultant carbon deposits restrict the operation - and ultimately the flow characteristics - of the converter by coating the unit's reactive surface. This degrades the converter's ability to perform its chemical conversion process, leading to potentially illegal levels of HC, CO, and NOx. Root causes of this problem are a malfunctioning O2 sensor, plugged or inoperable fuel injectors, piston blow-by, leaking head gasket, broken or frozen choke or carburetor float, excessive cranking time, and repeated incidences of running out of gas.

155

You know what that's the best conclusion I've heard so far

220

i have had this happen to 3 of my jettas,it seems like its running out of gas and runs like schit,only on a couple of cylinders but when you first start it it runs fine after it gets warmed up it will come and go but it wil increasingly get worse untill finally one day you wont beable to give it any gas and it will cut out,its easy to just unhook the exhaust just behind the cat and take it for a ride,it will be loud but if it don't act up then you know that's the problem,im very much leaning toward the converter

220

when it first started happening i changed my plug wires and filters too and thought it was two wires that i kept changeing because two of the same cylinders kept acting like the wires were fireing accsionally,just to find out that it was the converter all the time,try it and let me know

155

Ill try it tomorrow morning ...thanks

i know its a year later but im having the same problem with my jetta, did it solve the problem?

10

I have a similar problem. Although it drives fine until i am about to have m fuel light come on. Then it will kind of `cough` and keep going. The strange thing is it happens at the same spot of the highway everytime. Anyone ever had this happen?

20

I have a 2003 jetta. It is constantly shutting out on me when I'm driving in either first or second gear. I've been stuck on several city road and once on the freeway in stop and go traffic. It would just stop and I would have to let it 'rest' for a minute or two before it will start again. The catalyic converter has been changed. And it's still doing it. I don't know if it is me driving the car or if something is wrong with it. Please help.

30

This problem is caused by Ignition coil pack. In a 2.0 VW engine it's a whole piece (kind of a like a distributor cap). In 1.8 you can change them individually based on OBD reading, you have to know which one is misfiring.

I have the same thing with my 99 vw passat I blew the motor a put a 2000 in it and now it doesnt come out of first gear what could be doing that?

20

my Volkswagen Jetta was doing the same thing I changed out the coil pack and it's fineit hasn't had a cracker anything like that it ark itself

40

Mine did the same... jerking while driving and wont start once stopped and stop at stop street then it cuts out.. It was my engine speed sensor. its perfect again

40

Mine did exactly the same for months..jetta 4 2005 model... 1.6... had everything changed and replaced I could think of but nothing helped, so I took it to a mechanic that had a machine to test the fault. it gave a error of my ENGINE SPEED SENSOR. He replaced it and she drives like a dream now.. hope this can help someone caz I looked and read these sights for months too looking for answers but no one mentioned a speed sensor . Mine was located under the engine deep inside between the parts. had to put her on a hoist lift to get to it.

40

sites sorry

ok maybe this will help a bunch of guys with beetle and jettas the oil filler setup stinks on these cars second the wiring is right next to it i had oil run down the wiring to the speed speedometer plug which screwed up my setting on the ecm once i found oil in the plug and the sensor i used cleaner and dried it out and poof the thing runs like a new car again . ps i looked at all these sites changed all the sensors and the exhaust and nothing worked but cleaning that speed odometer sensor you will see the difference.cheap just look for oil :)

10

Ok so I have read this whole feed. I have an 03 jetta starts and idles perfect everytime can sit and idle for long periods. Have had the car a year with no problems til now. Now when you start driving all is good and then couple min in it starts acting like not getting gas. Took to mechanic and was told they got reading of mass air flow sensor and bad catalytic convertor. There is a leak before the cat conv. So I don't see how they could get that. I did replace the mass air flow but still have problem. Cannot drop 1500 in exhaust work. When this happens if you pull over and restart it is all good again for short distance. Help!

30

I had the same problem with my 03 VW Jetta GL a few months ago that took me here as well. It's almost the same way you describe yours, sputtering almost choking and wouldn't move forward at the stop light after it turned green. I solved mine by replacing the ignition coil pack and spark plug wires. While I was in it I also changed spark plugs. These parts are not cheap but I found cheaper replacements do some search on those 2 biggest online retailer. The location of the coil pack was also deep that you have to remove a few things before you can get there, you have to be patient. When I was done, the difference is like night and day. It's runs so smooth. I hope this helps you. Good luck troubleshooting.

i had to make sure the throttle body plug was really seated i actually hit the plug to make sure running great again

why didn't they post changing cam positioning sensor without taking the belt off it worked and you can get the sensor off without messing up the timing :)

My 1999 passat is being horrible right now. Its a v6 and I had the drivers side cat ceramic knocked out, it ran MUCH better for about a month now its acting like its out of gas all the time when I give it gas it loses everything but doesnt die and then puts and sputters until i can get pulled over. Then I have to wait at least 30 mins before I try to drive again. It does this every 5 miles or so. I has started jerking really bad and just doenst want to go at all. I was told to try to put in the gas a can of sea foam and run it out. That seems to have made it worse. Please help

40

Mine did exactly the same for months..jetta 4 2005 model... 1.6... had everything changed and replaced I could think of but nothing helped, so I took it to a mechanic that had a machine to test the fault. it gave a error of my ENGINE SPEED SENSOR. He replaced it and she drives like a dream now.. hope this can help someone caz I looked and read these sites for months too looking for answers but no one mentioned a speed sensor . Mine was located under the engine deep inside between the parts. had to put her on a hoist lift to get to it

10

I'm having an issue with my 2000 vr6 (manual). It will start and drive( feels kinda sluggish though) then after about 5 minutes it starts to have the dash lights blink and it sputters then smooths out a little then it sputters then I have to limp it home. I have changed the plugs and wires, coil pack and alternator. What could be the issue of this? I'm thinking the cps. But out of thoughts and options.

10

Iam a female this is the 2nd jetta i owed....let me explain a lil...so this car i took to pepboys (mfkrs) i paid 548.00 for repairs...they definitely rip me off...i told them the issue how ever they did not pay attn of what i said..either they couldn't figure what the issue was they just went by what the computer said i also give them a lil class explaining them that once 1 thing is bad a bunch will start acting up n the computer will throw those codes is common sense..my car iddles by it self...epc goes on and off..symptoms ..it iddles..slows down has never turn off..ways to drive it...do a pedal reset..put the key on ignition do not turn car on just switch it on hold the gas pedal for 7 seconds let it go turn switch off then turn car on...next to prevent my epc from going on and drive smooth..every stop i make i cant just press gas to go! I have to let go the gas wait the car moves then i press gas and will drive smooth..this 2 steps helps me out alot some 1 that deals with jettas online had help me figure and if the car respond to these the problem is low voltage..either voltage sensor worn off or also can be gas pedal sensor...since day 1 i told them (pepboys)2 things i wanted to fix ... GAS PEDAL SENSOR and VOLTAGE SENSOR today am buying both online am pretty sure this is the issue ...i had change the following in this 01 jetta 2.0.. Housing thermostat Complete body throthle Gas filter O2 sensor Mass flow sensor Bosh sensors Crankshaft sensor

10

So sorry to not reply sooner...I actually ended up figuring out the issue with the with my mk4 glx. It was actually the fuse that goes inside the junction box on top of the batter. It's where the negative went inside to the positive. That is what was causing epc to come on and for the car to stall and die. I have to now deal with the emissions workshop error on the screen. I'm sure it's just an o2 sensor because when it does come on the car lags until it hit the power ban then it digs till I put the clutch it to shift....thank you so much vivilove

30

When I had issue with my 03 Jetta 2.0 (described above), I invested some money to get myself OBDII code reader. I spent half of the $89.99 PebBoys will charge just to read the code and they quoted me hundreds more when I told them what needed to be done. I did my research, watched some youtube and became a weekend mechanic. I managed to change the parts (bought online) myself, fix the problem, gave myself a pat on the back and enjoyed the ride. I suggest buying the basic OBD2 code reader and avoid the diagnosis fee. You can at least save that money even if you don't want to fix it yourself, plus you got an important tool to use to diagnose all your vehicle when that dreaded engine light turns on.

I have a 2003 jetta GLS 2.0 and i never had a problem with it until i let it sit for a day or two in some cold weather. go to start it up the following day and it doesn't want to start. jumped it and was pumping the gas peddle got it started. Then I drove it to school, it seems to drive fine. On my way back from school I noticed that when I started to accelerate that it wanted to sputter. When it would get to about 3000 RPM it would very slowly accelerate. When I would put it in neutral and rev it up it would sputter. So I came home and put injector cleaner into the gas tank. Went to started up about 3 hours later and it will not start up. Cranks over fine, but from the engine bay it smells like fuel bad. I'm not really sure of the problem. Any help? I'm going to leave the battery charger on it all night and then give it a try in the morning.