1999 volk jetta sedan / alarm problem

Asked by Mar 20, 2008 at 09:29 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL

Alarm won't disingage when attempting to start car. Is there a factory kill switch available if necessary?

42,925

Yes, factory should be able to disable the alarm for you.

630

OK, I read all these forums because I had the exact same problem and none of the answers I saw helped me at all until I reached the end of the internet and backed up 5 pages. This will fix a 95-99 Jetta for sure, others maybe. 1. Open Car door with key holding to unlock (this should disarm the Car, in my case my lock was defective so this did not work) If the alarm sounds when you open the door, disengage the 15AMP Fuse in the fuse panel that has the "key" symbol on the diagram. The Alarm will stop but your car won't start. 2. Pop the hood 3. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. 4. Put key into ignition and turn to on. 5. While leaving the door open, reconnect negative Battery terminal 6. Start Car! I only had the valet key as I purchased the car 3rd hand, so the trunk lock thing didn't work for me. This worked great though.

65

great information i have the same problem with a custmer car.

40

An approx. 1 year later as noted on "grayj831"'s post... THIS WAS THE ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM. I agree to his comment "... all these forums... and none of the answers I saw helped me at all until.." I was a bit skeptical... but what did I have to lose! I followed his instructions... and whaalaa... it works. THANK YOU, grayj831!!! Now to deal with the VW rep... who told me just disconnect the battery cable and have a tow-truck pick up my vehicle and off to the delearship.

30

Thanx gray831 !!!! My 99 1/2 jetta mk4 had master key remote problems We dont know if it is the sender in the key or the receiver in the door lock. Followed the steps above and we now can use the car [no alarm or remote function] we just have to lock the drivers door manually when we get out. saved me hundreds in tow fees

20

"gray831" You are definitely a life saver; your instructions solved my problem; Much appreciated !!! :)

630

Guess what, the same procedure unlocked the radio in my 2006 Jetta

30

To mr. grayj831, where do I locate the key related fuse? I tried doing this with my 96 jetta. I open the door, alarm. open the hood, alarm. Disconnect the negative terminal, plug the key in, turn it to the position right before ignition happens. Connect the negative terminal, and it honks one to three times. I then turn the key forwards and nothing happens. I turn the key all the way back, pull it out then in, alarm. I even tried disconnecting both terminals, putting it in not right before ignition but only in the first position it goes in when you stick the key in. Am i doing something wrong? This car is starting to get really annoying. Also if it helps, my friend left the door light on for the whole night before I tried to drive the next day. So not the actual light, but the light that turns on when you open the door. As well, it isn't the original key, and I cannot lock or unlock the driver door with it, same as you.

630

The ignition fuse shouldn't be an issue, turn and leave the key in the run position the while you disconnect and reconnect the neg battery terminal...then key to off and try to start.

630

If the other didn't work

20

I have the same problem. Left my lights on...killed battery...tried to jump it but the alarm/panic mode engages consistently. I had to leave the car because it's midnight but will try Gray's remedy tomorrow morning.

This worked amazing!!! So glad to have the car working

20

Witch fuse is it i do not have the lay out of the fuses. I have 99 jetta

10

Jared, It is #38. Use this fuse layout for reference if it is the MKIV (newer body): http://jettajunkie.com/vw- jetta/attachment.php? attachmentid=921&d=1266695510 96jetta96, I guess you've already figured it out after 10 months, but you need to turn the key to ignition (on) position and not to the position right before ignition.

This worked for the alarm issue, but now the car turns over and starts but immediately shuts off. What could be causing this? I have a 1999 golf GLS.

20

Ive tried checking fuses leaveing cables disconected in my 1999 jetta and still cant get it to start. The lights work and horn honks but no alarm light or wont start. I need help.... Its my onley car.......

I did these steps to some order and it worked, my car started, no alarm. I could unlock and lock my doors, no alarm. Drive it around, park it and turn if off, no alarm. 12 hours later I go to unlock my door and the alarm is going off again, back to square one. Why would it happen again later?

Fuse #14 is for interior lights if interior lights arent working then it wont start i had same issue i wish i could slap the German engineer for there bright ass ideas for wiring the jetta

@grayj that shit worked gooder than a bitch. - vw Jetta 2000 2.0

i have problem my alarm its locked jetta 99