What is the hard rubber piece that runs from the engine to the transmission and what does it do?

Asked by Jun 04, 2012 at 11:43 PM about the 1996 Volkswagen Jetta 4 Dr GL Sedan

This piece is broken, causing fluids to spray out of the opening and ruin my clutch (Apparently). All of the
transmission fluid has leaked out and the dealer  believes that this piece is the answer to all of my problems.

216,795

Did you recently add some fluid from the engine compartment and it just poured out? If so, that isn't a tranmission fluid fill tube. Were you filling it by a clear plastic plug? That is a timing access hole... ..Here is the correct way "to check/fill tranny fluid: -remove driver side wheel -remove vertical black plastic splashguard, held in by two clips up top and a plastic edge up front -you'll see the end of the tranny, which has a green plate with a VW logo on it. to the right of this plate there will be a plug, which you need a monster 17mm allen head to remove. that's the fill/check plug. fluid should just trickle out the hole when the plug is removed. don't overtighten the plug putting it back in, you're screwing a steel plug into an aluminum tranny case and it's easy to strip. good luck! "

Best Answer
216,795

The hard rubber piece is usually the rear main gasket and if it was bad would cause the engine oil to leak out. Any VW experts have anything to add?

125

My main seal went out causing the same issue.You are going to need to replace the main seal and the clutch should be replaced since it will now be soaked in oil. The transmission, CVs and hub assemblies will have to be removed to complete this job.

I'm waiting on the transmission to be flushed out so I can see what is broken inside. From what I could see underneath myself, a lot of the seals were popping out. Luckily I needed a new clutch anyways. It's been a week now and haven't heard back. It's sitting on the dealers lot. :( I found out that the hose went to the transmission, but had little to do with it. Unfortunate, since I've had it less than a month and now the guy has my car and money. Thank you for the answers! I will definitely keep all of those things in mind when I get down there again!