Cooiling Fan and Heater

115

Asked by Dec 26, 2011 at 11:44 PM about the 1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

Background: I had no heat in my Jetta. but the temperature was running normal, right at 200
F. It did take what seemed like forever to warm up so I replaced my thermostat. Upon
replacing my thermostat i still had no heat, and I found a leak at my water outlet. I replaced the
"O" ring on the water outlet and also on the 2 sensors attached. I also had a oil leak at the
valve cover i repaired as well. Leaks solved. After refilling the fluid, I still had no heat. It
appeared my water pump was now not functioning (I am getting frustrated at this point). I
decided if i was going to replace my water pump I would also replace my timing belt i have
150K miles on the car so it was well overdue. After replacing all of thes items. I get it all
together and my Upper and lower hoses have sprung leaks, not bad leaks but leaks none the
less, and I still have no heat. since the leaks were very minor I did not believe they could be
causeing my heat to not work so the only thing left in my eyes was the dreaded heater core.
Reluctant, i replaced the heater core, and both the upper and the lower radiator hoses. Finally,
no leaks. I bleed the coolant system by idling the car with the cap of, slowing adding coolant
as needed. squeezing this hose and that until i ceased to see bubbles. The care was
operating at normal temperature.  I shut it off allowed it to cool, topped of the coolant again.
then took it for a spin around the block. NOW its overheating i assume because the coolant
fan isn't kicking on. I have run a res of wires from the battery to the fan and the fan works....I
am frustrated an I think I am overlooking the obvious can anyone help...ps I still have no
heat.also......

115

Well, since no one answered, here was the fix. Patience It was air-locked. I had some air in both the heater core as well as the radiator. When feeling the lower radiator hose it was cool as was the output of the heater core while the upper radiator hose and input to heater core were very hot. Air could not pass. I ran the car with cap off coolant tank. Using a broom stick, I pushed on the lower radiator hose slowly pushing in an holding the rapidly releaseing. I also messaged the output hose on the heater core and 45 minutes later, air gone, and hot hot heat! No temperature problems at all, i took a long drive and no issues with temperature or heat. My radiator fan still isnt kicking though, but i am not sure at what temperature it is supposed to activate, it could be that it just isnt getting to that temperature.

105

Thank you for posting! I just replaced my water pump and I have no heat also. So when the sun comes out I'll get in there and do what you said with the hoses. I did that same thing to the hoses to get the fluids through, but it just got colder and it's now snowing out. I have a short in my turn signals too. Keep replacing fuses.. another day

@ death by vw..... . Thanks, answer I needed.

5

If you are getting foam out of you vents then the air is mixing. It has nothing to do with the core. The vents cover holes in the air distribution. The foam breaks down on the air diverters and then the air mixes!