What are the common causes of power window failure?

35

Asked by May 17, 2008 at 01:42 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr MV Passenger Van

My driver side window quit working. Is there a relay or fuse somewhere? The owners manual talks about circuit breakers that reset but does not indicate location.

570

On a euro van it is most likely the power window switch on the door, but it could also be the window motor regulator. It is most likely not a fuse. Good luck!

43,555

There are also power window relays on some cars which will cause issues.

Did you ever figure this out? I actually have ALL the power windows (both front) and the sunroof and the power mirrors not working, which DOES indicate a circuit breaker ... which supposedly this has. I HAVE the Bentley repair manual that the shops supposedly use in an "e" form. It is the most worthless manual ever produced. The location for the circuit breaker is supposedly above the main relay and fuse area. However, the 2000 van, nothing exists above there that remotely resembles the diagram.

40

I have the same problem! Where is the circuit breaker for the 2000 Eurovan?

20

Check the wires in the armpit, between the door and thte body. My 2002 had broken and cracked wired there.

35

Thanks for the reply, I had it repaired sometime ago and it turned out to be broken wires just as you thought.

I repaired window regulators and replaced relays ( $200+) before I discovered a broken wire in the wire loom at the door hinge. Check the integrity of all wires in the bundle that go through the door hinge.

10

My drivers window made a crunch noise & went down. I had to replace the regulator!

The wires in my 1999 Eurovan between the door and the body were broken. Repaired the wires and all is good.

10

I have a 2003 Weekender, of about 20 wires I had to repair 8 or 9. They were either totally disconnected or cracked. The main red hot feed was broken in two places. Now that I've repaired the wires my power mirrors work, left door speaker works, windows power up & down weather the door is opened or closed, no more crackle or motor whirring sound from the stereo system and I suspect the mirror defrosters will work when they get dew (have not need them yet). So check door wires. Mine were way too damaged for a 13 year old vehicle. Sorry for the long post.T.C.