Can no longer hit first without reverse engaging. What is problem?

Asked by Jun 23, 2014 at 10:44 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

First will not engage unless you depress ever so slightly and move over 1/8 inch for first to engage and you have to be at a complete stop for first to engage. Reverse is ready to slide right in.  I have found 2 items; gear shift repair kit and a gear shift lever - before purchasing would these correct my problem?
I have a Haynes repair manual for Golf (will this give me adequate information to install kit and shift lever)?  Actually, only per se manual I could get from local auto store - told its comparable to Cabrio.
Thank you for your-all's input and assistance - my other issue of crank and no spark with raw gas smell - once I have shifting issue fixed, I will tackle throwing those parts to her.
**Amused with all the other posts about locked out, locked in, keys not unlocking, "social" beeps. - been there, she corrected herself.  As a female I can say, I love my Cabrio (brat basket). These cars are definitely very moody always want to be touched and worked on, but when they are on a good day they are an awesome car!  Sad VW won't make more. Still have my faithful truck old Goliath - while my "Betty-Beep" throws ADD fit.  jokling7

Hector Irizarry Duval

hello, i think you have a problem with the linkage this is an easy fix for a tech. Don't know what kind of technical knowledge you have. sometimes you need to change the plastic sleeve only and sometimes parts of the linkage. that you will need to determine yourself. those parts can't have any play between them and if you need to change the orange shell and one that looks like a lolly pop you will have to center them correctly to work properly. you have a 2001 cabrio this means is an MK4 but the cabrio used the MK3 chasis. The linkage in those cars is the same it can vary a little but the manual can be interpreted for all. they just vary in size or a curve. basically they are all the same. any 1994 or newer manual should do the job. this car are jewels i have a 1984 cabrio myself and they glow, where ever you go they see your car i bet...

Best Answer

Hector, Thank you! As soon as my parts get here I will undertake this task. As I was looking for a diagram of the linkage components and what I was in for, I found a site MissingLinkZ - this guy has instructions included and has links for the linkage setting!! (only problem is it could take up to 3 weeks to ship) When I complete this, I'll let you know how this all went. My car, she let's ppl know we are around with her quirky beep-beep. Her worst habit is when we have the top down and stopped at stoplight, she will beep and stall out...she kills social butterfly is what I refer her to and I always state, "she's a girl". Just as my truck, she will teach me humbleness and patience as I turn wrenches. I just wish she wasn't computer run. Again, thank you. J