can i reprogram my cabrio using my obd2 diagnostic tool

20

Asked by Jan 09, 2013 at 02:46 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

i have a 2001 gold cabrio. i have had engine light and brake light come on continuously. my code reader popped up 9 codes. all of which i was told are so random they have no idea what it could be. im thinking codes were cleared or battery unhooked prior to my ownershjip. is there anyway i can reprogram it to work properly or reset ecu?

20

i mean golf*** cabrio

89,705

That would depend on what diagnostic tool you have. Most scanners will read and clear codes. The VW's need a vag-com cable from Ross Tech and software on a lap top computer to access the ECU and change parameters.

20

i have a innova 3100 f can obd2 diagnostic tool. i really dont want to have to take it to dealership to be fixed. what do i need to get or do to fix my car?

20

my diagnostic tool did come with a usb wire to connect to computer but havnt tried it and unsure what its for, manuel or "how to use" possibly? , and if it will really help or bring up program or tutorial how to reprogram or fix car

89,705

Head over to a VW forem. They should be able to tell you if your tool works on the VW computer system. They can go into much more detail than you are going to find here. Good luck and when you find what's going on, update this question so others can gain from your experience. http://forums.vwvortex.com -- http://www.vwforum.com

35

No you need to use vagcom or vag commander in order to change parameters, but I doubt your computer needs a reflash.

35

All mark IV VWs throw random codes if the have been modified with anything that messes with their fuel/air mix. Cold air intake, new exhaust, reflashed ecu, downpipe...post your codes on vortex and people will help you out or swing by autozone and they will give you a list of all the codes with a listing of "probable causes". Best bet is if the car runs well, leave it be and just keep up with the regular maintenance.

20

i have a list of codes and have corrected them i was told i probably need to resetr my ecu since my check engine light is still on. will a simple clearing of the codes do? this is holly btw just not logged in

35

It should do so long as the issues you fixed are actually the problems the car is having. If the previous owner "chipped" the car, replacing the stock ecu with a newly programmed chip, you may end up just living with the light being on. What did you fix? It may give us a better idea of what the car is doing.