Need Help!

10

Asked by May 04, 2015 at 12:49 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

So i have a 2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS, starts up fine almost everytime. The thing is, itll drive for maybe a minute or so if that, then die off. I just had to replace the oil sender seal because over winter it must of cracked because i lost 5 quarts of oil within 8 miles.. But once i replaced the seal another problem arose.. Which this is where im lost.
First i thought it to be the in-tank fuel pump because i kept hearing like a buzzing/static noise when i would start the car and let it idle, but then the noise has stopped and it still is having the dying out problem. Ive looked on here for anwsers and the only other thing i could figure is the fuel pressure regulator, maybe a hose or something? Any suggestions would help me out a lot.. I depend on my car.

61,255

Sound,s like a fuel issue,stopped up fuel filter,or the fuel pump is bad,check the fuel pressure,it will tell you if this is the issue.

10

How would I check the fuel pressure?

61,255

You will have to rent a fuel pressure tester from parts store,but it is a loan a tool,so you will get your money back when you take it back,then find the fuel rail on top of the intake manifold,there will be a cap like tire filler,remove it screw hose from pressure tester to it and turn car over to check pressure.

10

Okay ill have to do that and see . But honestly i just went out and started it up again, and noticed a weird noise coming from my motor, hint my uncle replaced my oil sender seal and not a mechanic. But anyways i noticed that my air pump, or i guess secondary pump, the one at the front of the motor, was leaking air because two of the pins that were holding it together , one side of the pins are missing so its not sealed.. would that cause the problem of the engine stalling out ?

61,255

Yes, could be,vacume loss will cause it.

10

Okay well looks like ill go with replacing the air pump first since i know its actually messed up . Ill be back on here once i can get that done and let you know. I appreciate the assistance man! Ive had the car a year in a half now and this is only the second thing that's gone wrong with it, has 133,xxx miles on her, so i guess that's pretty lucky compared to most people who i hear complain about Cabrio's and their problems.. lol.

10

So I still need help..

My cabrio would start but would die when I stopped at stop signs. Unless I kept my foot on the gas. I replaced the ignition coil and it works great.