I bought a 2000 vw cabrio with a 2.0 it starts but no power, why?

Asked by Jan 26, 2015 at 04:00 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

the person we bought it from says they swapped motors from a vw golf. and says they
didnt change the computer with the motor. we done a compression check and each
cylinder reads between 90-100 on the 3rd crank of each cylinder

9,315

when you say no power you mean as in it can't go when you push the peddle or no power as in voltage wise? im guessing as in when you push the peddle. its a toss up when you play the engine swap game. If the engine was from a car the same year and model a computer issue should not be the problem and if thats the case you can take it to vw and have them reprogram the computer. But im probly leaning mor eto dirty parts or something not connected properly. Start hunting for dissconected plugs and vacum lines, also check for fuel make sure its all getting to all the cyclinders. Also try cleaning the MAFsensor and check the voltaage and plugs to make sure they are sparking. These are all good places to easily start with that you can do at home. also if you can try getting the car scanned by a vw speciality shop they should have the proper software to diagnose any electrical or relay issues as wel as any computer problems.

Thank you, also, the exhaust is not connected to the manifold. Looks like they cut the cat for scrap or something. Could tat ave something to do with low power as well? Plus, they cut the o2 sensor as well.

unless they have the wrong exhaust manifold, or maybe the flywheel is different?

9,315

if they cut off the cat and o2 sensors that would defiantly be the reason for lack of power. The engine requires the back pressure from the cat to run properly also with out the o2 sensors the engine does not get the proper data and would not run at all. You had best get that replaced then try the car again, unfortunately these are expensive you can get a cat with the connectors online for around 500- 800$ a piece. If you have a v6 engine it will require 2 cats im not sure if the v4 needs 2 as well also if the manifold pipes have been chopped you will also have to buy new manifold pipes. so you may want to try a wreckers for that part

9,315

as for having the wrong exaust manifold there was only 2 types the one for the small engine and the one for the big engine if im correct there was only a 2.8L v6 and a 1.8L engine for the 2000 vw cars.

Well this is a 2.0 4cylinder... But thanks for the info it has been very helpfull

9,315

ok yea i forgot about the 2.0 letters the jettas had but either way its pretty similar to the 1.8 L engine so unless he got the engine from a later then 2001 model golf you should be good computer wise. Only parts with the 1996 -2001 jettas/golfs and /audi a4/a6 are compatible with one another once your exhaust is reconnected and the cats are back in you should i would think not have any issues but if you do just let me know and ill do what i can to keep helping