i bought a 2001 vw cabrio that the previous owner tried to start with a hammer and screwdriver. The switch is destroyed! how can i hotwire it? I know very little about these things

Asked by Feb 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM about the 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio

the previous owner broke the key in the door. Instead of replacing the key, he tried to start it with a hammer and screwdriver (ala gone in sixty seconds!) The switch is destroyed, and i need to know how to hotwire it. I am the legit owner (I only paid $500 for the car, so i sort of stole it!).

10

Disconnect the battery, remove the steering wheel, and pull the steering column covers to access the wires. Stop right there and replace the key switch. Put the car back together and drive it like it's meant to be driven. No offense intended, but if a person doesn't have enough skill to do this, he or she will burn the car down trying to hot wire it. Ask me how I know.