I bought a 1998 VW Cabrio Conv. I've been told it does not take transmission fluid? I cannot find a dipstick anywhere? Also, people say it takes no clutch fluid?

120

Asked by Jul 01, 2013 at 01:13 AM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

I was told it is a sealed transmission.  What is this compared to a regular tranny? And that the oil is the lubricant for the gear shifter and tranny.  Also, that my clutch is a pulley-type clutch so it does not need any clutch fluid either?  I can only find a round plug, the size of a quarter, down in the engine, almost at the bottom.  What is that?  Its just a plug and when I look inside I only see gears and open space?  All my fluids are good and holding, but is there something I'm missing?  It goes to a vw mechanic soon and I will get a lesson in 98 cabrio convertibles.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

93,805

Manual transmissions do not have a dip stick. Some have a threaded opening on the top or side to add fluid. They have a drain plug on the bottom. Don't confuse it with the engine oil pan drain plug. -- Find a VW forum for DIY instructions about servicing your transmission and engine fluids. Ask your VW mechanic to point them out to you.

Look like this? click on it

4,535

The plug you have found is an inspection port that allows viewing of the timing marks used during tune ups. The fill and drain port is a 17mm socketed plug near the bottom of the transmission. Lubricant is a hypoid GL90 gear oil. When servicing, oil is squirted into the fill port via tubing until it just starts to seep from the port while the car is level. Your new Bentley manual should be able fill in any questions.