MY 2003 Toyota Camry starts but wont stay running ?

Asked by Jan 25, 2015 at 11:45 AM about the 2003 Toyota Camry XLE

Car stalled last night but will restart, but will not stay running

Fuel level is okay? How many miles? When was the timing belt last serviced?

200 k on motor Fuel level is fine and has been running fine for last 100 miles Timing belt is fine

If the timing belt has never been changed then it is probably not fine. Measuring the fuel pressure might be helpful.

Is it possible a sensor would prevent car form staying running ? Crankshaft ,ETC ?

Certainly is possible, do you have a check engine light that is on?

My check engine light is from the catalytic back pressure. Also this car does not have a timing belt,but a timing chain. Thank you so much for your considerations. Is there a way I could detect a code with out being hauled again to a garage or buying a code detector and then I would still need someone to tell me what the code means. Thanks and God Bless you kind sir. David

4 cyl. has chain V6 has belt. I guess I wrongfully assumed it was a V6. Sorry about that.

I thank you for kindness sir and i will keep trying. I am a senior and my wife says trash it,but this car has a very clean interior and MANY NEW PARTS UNDER THE HOOD and like they say the cheapest car you will ever own is the one that's paid for.I cannot even afford to buy any car. I and this car are very good friends, God bless you sir. David

Before you start spending money on parts, do the most inexpensive things first. Go buy a can of throttle body cleaner. Remove your idle air control valve. Tear it apart and clean it. If this part gets gummed up with carbon, the car may not run depending on where it sticks. Here is a short video on how to properly clean it: Also clean your throttle body. You can also spray some cleaner into the EGR valve to make sure it is not plugged also.

I think you are on the right track. The extremely cold weather(04 degrees this am) is preventing me from doing some of these suggestions. My usual Tech wants $40.00 just to scan and raised his rates to $80.00 per hour. Out of my league. I think after trying a few things today and if no results will push to road and sell. Engine does run well when fixed and interior is great with lots of new parts under the hood. I believe it should still sell for $700.00 to the right person. Thank you kind sir. I will advise of my testing today.

I currently have 6 codes on my Camry. Believe it or not, I just drove it from Las Vegas to Canada! I don't mean straight North. I mean all the way across the country. West to east, then straight north to Montreal. Car ran perfectly. I tried to get if fixed before I left Nevada, but of course the Toyota dealer wanted over $1700 to fix it. And that didn't even include half of the stuff I wanted done! I told them exactly what I wanted done. Two hours later, all they had accomplished was removing my tires! I told them to finish the tires and I left. My biggest problem with my car is the fact that I know that the 3 rear spark plugs have probably never been changed out. That may be half your trouble also. It's a major job to change out those rear three plugs. I have misfire codes. Not sure what you mean by cat back pressure, but if it's plugged you should change it out. It will burn your valves.

My 2001 toyota camry le will start but wont stay rumning after i changed timming belt