Clutch recommendatiions

5

Asked by Mar 13, 2012 at 03:41 PM about the 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab LB 4WD

'05 2500 with 96k on original clutch. Starting to slip. Looking to upgrade. I have the Banks Six Gun Tuner on it. Does anyone have any feedback on the topic?

425

honestly i would go back with a factory clutch or i believe RAM clutches makes one for that transmission. one of the two the six gun is not really going to over power a factory clutch they are extremely heavy duty. also i know kind of stating the obvious make sure you have your flywheel turned. especially if it has heat cracks or hot spots. with being a diesel it more than likely does.

12,085

False on all accounts. a banks 6 gun does add more than enough power to slip the stock clutch. the stock clutch is junk for any thing over stock. id look at companies like valair they offer great single disk and double disk clutch sets

12,085

also with it being a diesel the fly wheel is very heavy duty and it more than likely wont have heat cracks.

425

ok well considering i was a diesel tech for dodge and put numerous clutches in and found a lot of them with hot spots and about half with heat cracks i dont care how heavy duty it is if you run it hard or put it under a strain then it can get small heat cracks just fyi. and also a banks six gun will not cause a stock clutch to slip yes it will not last as long but will not slip. so tell me what is false about what i said nothing.

12,085

Well considering you said "was" which is past tense, leads me to believe you no longer work there. Im telling you right now, a banks six gun has the ability to add about 220 ftlbs above stock to a 2005 Common Rail Cummins which in 2005 was rated 325hp and 610ftlbs at the fly wheel go ahead and add 220 extra ft lbs of torque, tie in a wimpy stock single disk clutch with say 140k on it, and your going to get about two uses out of the thing before its no longer driveable. Ive been working in various automotive, and heavy duty diesel engine repair shops since i started my career. I would never turn a fly wheel, exspecially the junk ones that come OEM from dodge on the cummins, once you stress and crack it to the point where you can visually see it, its time to replace it, not turn it. glad i do my own service to my truck, dealers hire some shit techs now a days.

10

2005 dodge ram 2500 4x4 lonestar edition with 5.9 cummins 6 speed . added a superchips programmer, and the torque increase a 50 mph and in 5t gear causes the hd original clutch to slip. I am at 140k and would like info on hd clutch upgrade. This is one powerful beast.

12,085

theres no such thing as an OEM HD clutch. an oem HD clutch is a basic clutch that dodge just charges more for. if you want a truely heavy duty clutch, i recommend companies such as Valair, and South bend. both offer signle disk clutch setups that will handle up to 600RWHP, as well as Dual Disk Clutches that can handle in excess of 1000RWHP.

15

i would get a southbend street dual disc 3250, had this clutch for two years in my 03 cummins and love it

12,085

its a good clutch, dual disks arent as street friendly as a single disk, but theyre really nice for high HP and torque. i like to tow with a single disk alot better though, you can slip it a little more, and the pedal isnt as heavy

I have an 07 ram 2500 with the 6.7 in it with a smarty s67 programmer I eventually want to add more power to it my factory clutch is starting to slip I keep reading about the valair cremeic clutchs and the south bend dual disks which one would be the best I don't tow to much nothing more than 3000 lbs and don't do that more than once a month

12,085

a valair ceramic single disk will prolly do what your looking for. what kind of power are you looking to make?

30

I have a 2003 dodge 6 speed 4x4 5.9 with 130 on it an alil bully dog on it an clutch is starting to slip an I tow alil an its a everyday driver.. Which is best clutch for my truck??

10

The factory clutches from Dodge is a dual mass, I got an 08 Cummins with the g56 trans and it supposedly had a South Bend super single in it, it chattered somethin awful come to find out the bastard put the clutch in backwards which the chatter was from the pressure plate hittin off the pilot bearing had a nice little groove worn into it so had it taken out and a valair single disk which had a heavier flywheel than the other that was in it prior but anyhow the clutch ain't been in but 6 days gave er time to break in some but I'll be in 4th or 5th n get on it some and it'll slip my guess is that the truck has more horsepower than the clutch can handle for it to wanna slip what do you guys think

10

10

And I have no programmer on it egr has been deleted and the dpf and an s&b intake that's all

I'm the one searching and you want an answer from me? From what I can ascertain here there are no clear cut choices. Some like Valair, some like South Bend and some hate both. I've been looking for quite a while now nursing my slipping clutch like a breast fed pro quarterback, and I've decided I will leave that up to the mechanic that is doing the replacement. I went from 16 inch wheels to 20 inch and a full Gale Banks system and after 6,000 miles slipping started. Only 238,000 on my original clutch. The only thing I may do is go with the 13 inch flywheel instead of the 12.5 standard.