how can i make my truck blow black smoke without adding mods?

135

Asked by May 09, 2012 at 12:21 AM about the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4WD Quad Cab LB

i have a 2003 5.9L cummins 2500 and i would like to know how i can make my truck roll coal no problem. i dont want to add
anymore mods

12,275

"rolling coal" is stupid and not a sign of power at all, not to mention its why the EPA is coming down hard on diesels. any way, the only way to make these common rail trucks really smoke is to get big injectors, and a high power tune. your gonna spend alot of $$$.

13,015

You won't make any friends and you won't impress the ladies either.

12,275

exactly haha i can lay down close to 1400ftlbs of torque with my 05 cummins, and have just a slight haze of smoke. i also have alot of money into my trucks fueling, and induction system. not to mention what i paid for a transmission that can hold up to it.

135

alright i know it is not a sign of power and trust me i need power but i just wannna be able to blow a little black. i cant even get a puff now which i know is a good thing because i have a wonderful fuel to air ratio

12,275

What kind of setup are you running. I wanna know; Turbo size, injector size, your transmission, what tuner you have, and your exhaust and intake setup.

13,015

Yea that is impressive.....

12,275

its impressive, but now i have to drive the thing till its 3 days older than dirt because it only KBB's for about 22600. ive got almost double that into it with every thing. its kind of a losing situation.

13,015

that's what makes it great

135

im runnin the stock turbo with no tuner. i have a Banks ram air cold air intake with the high ram air and the monster sport exhaust. just replaced the injectors in late december.

12,275

at best to make smoke your gonna wanna throw a tuner on it. i recommend a smarty junior, theyre good for 70-90hp over stock with 4 settings stock, 70,80,90. theyll give you a noticable boost in power, and increase your fuel mileage. as far as transmissions go its up in the air if the stock one will hold up to any power over stock. every thing else will be fine. I recommend investing in a set of gauges Boost, EGT, and trans temp. your going to spend $600 total on gauges and the tuner but youll be happy you did.

12,275

theyre not like the old mechanical trucks, theres no free horsepower to really gain with them.

345

you can always make a smoke switch

12,275

they dont work. at all.

75

Why the F* would you want that??? seriously

135

im told to put a tuner on my truck would be dangerous due to the year but if i did would an edge work?

12,275

the only reason it would be dangerous is because of having a stock transmission. dodge stock 48RE's dont hold up well to having much power over stock. edge is okay, but smarty tuners are the way to go on dodge trucks.

135

i was told the reason is overheating of the engine? but thanks for all the info

12,275

you wont overheat the engine trust me. im making almost 720 rwhp, and the trucks OEM cooling system has no problem handling it.

135

damn well thats great to hear what all are you runnin?

12,275

64/62/14 phatshaft, 100/150 hybrid injectors, a home modified CP3, i have a OM3GA Aisin Sieki based 6 speed auto with a quad disk converter, S&B CAI, MBRP 4in exhaust, Smarty tuner with an MP8 fuel box. and so many other things i dont have room to ype them haha

135

wow haha thats impressive

12,275

haha thank you, it beats 95% of the rice around and can still tow almost 30,000lbs when i need it too

135

thats what i want but i really dont have the money to do so

If your truck has injectors turn them up and slide the fuel plate back just a cunt hair my uncle did that and it blows smoke

12,275

No fuel plate one these trucks, theyre electronically controlled common rails. thats for the 94-98 Ppumped 12Vs

90

dan not to be rude but the common rail engines have pressed in valve seats and extra heat in these engines kill them! ive got more time on the shitter looking at these trucks than you have working on them! as far as the mods u have listed for your truck u may be close to 575 if shits done right but i would say by you listing a homemade dragon fly that your truck is more like 515 and runs like shit! now for my parts s4 s3 twins shucka con twins header milled intake ported pollished and o ringed head studs cowler rods enterprize engines custom ground cam 5 in cali customz duals ( stacks are for homos) dragob fly dual cp3 bag of parts in both 150 industrial injection injectors south bend dual disk gear vendor water to air intercooler by senergy and snow performace water meth and still only burning 713 on the dyno o and a massage chair passenger side for your gf! so dan the man im calling the big bull shit button on you!

8,885

not necessarily concerned for the environment here, more your ego, dude being one who has invested much in many types of cars, love torque and power, but the unnecessary attention shows you are still young, having a "bad-ass truck" doesn't make you bad-ass, i am so tired of STOCK trucks, or slightly modified being driven on the road as if they are nascar...you want to be about it, go all in, never hate on anyones goals, but either invest the money to do it right, or don't bother, (sorry for the negativity), just consider the thought before you invest a small amount to look big, SAME AS THE STUPID TUNER CARS, AND EVERYONE WITH LOGO STICKERS OF ITEMS THEY DON'T HAVE....(sorry went on a rant there)

645

Taylor, without a 12 valve Cummins, you cant really make your truck blow smoke without any upgrades or spending any kind of money. You could install a smoke switch or just take the air filter off your turbo and stick a piece of something hard, like steel or something like that, up to the turbo and rev your engine up. It slowly starts to shut down the turbo because of no air. No air + fuel = unburnt fuel (black smoke)

645

Len, you can still blow smoke even with the lower sulfur fuel as long as you pump a little more fuel in the engine.

12,275

The sulfur actually has little to no barring on the amount of black smoke produced. the sulfur was part of the lubricating properties of diesel fuel, the reason for going from regular diesel to ULSD is the formation of NOX, the sulfur causes combustion chamber temperatures to rise to the point where particals of oxidized nitrogen "NOX" are formed. pulling the sulfur out reduced NOX but also made life for injection pumps and injectors alot harder. but relatively speaking youd see no difference in smoke from a truck filled with diesel, that you would see in a truck filled with ULSD. Also the only place you can find "real" diesel any more (its dyed dark blue) is alaskan ship yards.

35

put 1 quart 5w- 30 in rear full tank

12,275

If youre going to use an oil as a fuel additive dont use virgin motor oil, its combustion point is far too high and will cause mass amounts of carbon build up in your turbo. but the injection system on these trucks loves 2 stroke oil. find a high quality CW- 3 rated ashless oil (I use stihl brand because its readily available to me) it will definitely increase lubricity properties 10 fold over ULSD.

345

What kind of dbag would want black smoke?

12,275

Well to a point smoke = power. unless its some twat who got his hands on a smoke tune, or gutted the AFC and pulled the fuel plate out of his 12V cummins, then thats just unecessary. I can put down consistent dyno pulls over 700 wheel horse and make a decent bit of smoke, but when youre making power like that with a diesel you cant really stop the smoke.

345

It's one thing if you can't help it, it's another if you're getting it for the sake of having it.

12,275

On a common rail its so expensive to just make smoke that you might as well go the extra mile to make the power as well haha

60

Y'all make it sound like its rocketscience. I got a buddy with 05' Cummins with a SB cold air intake,straight pipe, with a bully dog gt tuner and it smoke whenever he pleases its not hard -_-

12,275

yeah too bad bullydog products are fucking jun. and smoke (like you get from a bullydog tuner) isnt power. its too much timing, rail pressure spikes, and boost spikes.

40

Trevor I us my black smoke to got people from riding my ass as I drive down the the highway or in town u would be amazed how good it works

10

can i 91 f250 blow black smoke no turbo

12,275

yeah, you turn the fuel screw on the injection pump, two flats increases the timing and adds more fuel.

35

if your hauling am 80,000 lb load up the spokane valley hill and need the power, your going to have smoke pouring out. but very inefficient

645

Yes the smoke may look cool, but it raises EGT's and could coat your turbo in soot. Its not healthy for your engine. Yes, this question could go both ways. Its pretty much between "Your a douchebag" and "smoke = power" which in a sense is true, but Banks Engineering has made several products where its clean power. No smoke. There is always a debate with this question, no doubt about it.

10

I got a 2013 Chevy silverado 2500HD with a 6.0L and was wondering how to get the new models to puff a little smoke

645

Jaggera, that is a gas motor, you wont get smoke out of it. We are talking about diesels not gas engines.

70

Ok first of all the people tht are sayin that Rollin coal is stupid are retarted! Rollin coal is sexy! The people that are saying that Rollin coal won't attract the chick yeah bull shit! To me that's Dickinson eye candy! I love it its sexy and boys that got it don't EVER let a city girl in your truck, they will ruin it!

30

Ok black smoke is just unburnt fuel. More black smoke you roll the more fuel your losing. Not necessarily losing power but fuel for sure. All these kids with rich parents that think rolling coal is a sign of power well you're wrong. I have 2 buddies' one has a 03 5.9 inline 6 that has tuner and all that. Blows a lot of black smoke. Other buddy has an 05 durramax with twin turbo no gramner blows very little black smoke. Obviously because of the twin turbo. My buddy with cummings thinks he has the badest truck on the planet. Looks great has everything. Durramax looks stock pretty much just bigger tires. Cummins is a little cocky one day and durramax calls him out.. they line up and dumbass coal roller said lets run for slips. Durramax obviously more intelligent with trucks than rich boy agrees. Well durranax not only blows him off the line but makes him look like a complete idiot. Durmax didnt make other buddy give up truck buy definitely made him shut up about rolling coal.

30

Its simple... you have to have the right mixture of air to burn all your fuel. A lot of people underestimate cold air intakes but if you get a good one they are actually are very good in all ways besides when not going. Cold air is more dense than hot air therefore is not only more fuel efficient but will give a little more power because it allows all the fuel to burn easier. So on your diesel if you have less air low than required to burn all the fuel your injectors are putting in then all the unburnt fuel makes black smoke. So if you just want to blow black smoke because you think it's cool I would just cut your air supply not "turning up injectors" because thats just more money your wasting. If you just want more power so your turn your injectors up, that alone will not work. More fuel you have the more air supply you have to have. In a truck with a lot of power you might as well forget about saving fuel mileage. Its not cheap to run a lot of power constantly. That's why its smart to get a programmer so you can manage to turn that power up when you need it and turn it down when you don't. Main point is black smoke isn't a sign of lost power but lost fuel. Sometimes That lost fuel can mean lost power but not always. Got black smoke? Add more to air supply..

20

Don't post on here if your not gonna answer the ducking question

50

i am a diesel tech and own my own performance shop anyone out there knows diesels to in creae power you increase fuel consumption and pressure, so when you roll smoke on a eltrical fuel system you are increasing the fuel curve which results in more power look at race and pulling trucks they roll coal and push anywhere from 800 rwhp to 1500rwhp i have been working on diesels my hole life i have a black 2009 pushing 925rwhp and 1765 ftlbs tourque and alot of girls do like smoke and diesels period but on your 2003 the best chip out there would be a smarty or efi and i have a smarty and efi live in stock for that truck and when you increase fuel you need to install a cold air intake and a bigger exhaust to get cold air in and blow out fast and easy.but for me info you are welcome to contact us at southern truck performance john haskins owner 828-855-6898

I have a 99 dodge cummins and im trying to get more power and to roll a little black smoke not a lot I was wondering what price range I was looking at and anything or any suggestions yall might have hit me up dan 409-622-1143 call or text

10

I see alot of posts about 12V 5.9 cummins, any good advice for the 24V...

10

If you wanna Black Smoke You can Put a trash bag over air filter!!! But itz really bad for your truck and you could mass something up or worst....

Just mess around with the injectors to have them dump more fuel in.... Its the easiest way other than just geting it tuned but it cost $$$

20

Lmao! If your wanting more smoke there are a few ways but putting a bag over your air filter is not one , with no air filter your motor gets no air... if u wanted a cheap quick way you could shave your glow plugs itll smoke like freight train .

10

Dan I have a stock 2005 Dodge ram cummins Turbo diesel what can I do to roal coal

10

@MudMan Just press the accelerator! Down. A lot. Have the same truck and thick black smoke tools out the back when I punch it :-). It does slow down the tailgaters.... 2005 Quad Cab 4wd 3500 Laramie Turbo Diesel

I have a 2010 6.7 3500 with afe air intake and 5" straight turbo back exhaust on stock turbo. How can I roll some coal? Currently have zero black smoke.

10

@cumminschief Not as EZ as our old trucks as the 6.7 has a lot of equipment to clean up the exhaust! Generally you get smoke when there is so much fuel going into the cylinder that there is not enough air to burn it all. I wonder if you could figure a cheap and easy way to restrict the air and then punch it, you might get smoke. I would hesitate to ding with the system too much as it would be gross if you damaged some part. I think Volkswagen software engineers could give you a hand!!

10

I have a 99 model 24 Valve Cummins ruining stick with a cold air intake without a programmer and I'm still rolling Coal no problem have a 5in straight pipe to a 7 in tip and that's all I've done to it. But without a doubt it will roll coal

10

Running stock

10

just get a super chip and set it to performance. lots of smoke!

My truck is rolling Cole and I don't want it too and now I am role down and no one knows how to work on it someone please help stuck in middle of nowhere. ..

I have a 2007 Dodge 3500 with twin Turbos and a exhaust brake and effective live .. and now I am broke down and I am pulling a 5th wheel.. HELP...

I have a 07 6.7 cummins 2500 and it blows smoke just fine and the only thing that i did the dpf delete and a srtaight pipe

All you guys suck. Smoke is what gets the full pulls at all diesel tractor pulls. If no smoke, you are screwed.

YALL ARE SOM DUMB MOTHER FU@#RS