95 Dodge Ram 2500

Asked by Jan 31, 2016 at 10:38 AM about the 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie SLT Extended Cab LB 4WD

Hey guys. So. I was driving home from my
girlfriends last night and my truck lost power. (Not
electric) just wouldn't accelerate.. before this, the
same day, the truck did some weird bouncing.. like
crazy. Stuff flew all around in the truck.. after a a
guy pulled it off the road for me with his jeep, we
went back and it drove in 4X4. I was thinking
transfer case chain is locking up? Please reply

Someone pulled you off the road? Did the driveshaft fall off?

Best Answer Mark helpful

No. I put it in neutral..

one ideas????

As far as the shaking, without feeling it myself I have no idea, could be a rear end locking up, or like you said a transfer case problem. The power loss that happened later could be caused by the fuel sloshing around during the shaking sturred up some crud off the bottom of the tank and is plugging up the fuel filter, unfortunately the filter is located in the fuel tank on the bottom of the sender assembly, and fuel flow and pressure test can verify this. HTH

@tennisshoes but it drove in 4X4.. could it be the transmission?

Another thing. Truck starts whining once put in gear and continues until you shut the truck off. But, once you turn it off, it doesn't do it in park.

If the whine seems to be coming from the aft part of the bell housing then it could be the trans front pump either sucking air or the bushings are worn that the pumps vanes are touching the crescent inside the pump. As far as it driving in 4X4 and not doing the shaking, it is just a thought that 4X4's use a slightly faster front ratio than the tears, usually a tenth, it may have been just enough to keep tension on the chain inside the transfer case tight enough to prevent binding on itself, to test this it has to be up in the air far enough for all 4 wheels to clear the ground, then with the transfer case in 4WD and the trans in neutral turn the rear driveline slowly in one direction and watch the front it should turn in time with the rear, little to no hesatation, then grab both drive lines and turn then back and forth and see how much slack there is between the back and forth movements, there again there should be little to none, if there is excessive play there then it is time for a transfer case overhaul before it locks up totally and busts the case wide open. HTH