Just replaced water pump, thermostat, starter, altenator, plugs, and tried to start it and radiator cap was still off. Coolant pulsed out when I turned it over. Shut key off..... help?

Asked by May 16, 2017 at 04:48 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

When turning engine over coolant shot out from radiator cap off. Why would
that happen?
It's a 2.2 l  flex fuel model vin #5 if that makes any difference

Have you tried it with cap on?

Normally it does not shoot out of radiator. I assumed something is wrong. I'll go try it right now

It may have just had air in system.

I put cap on it, turned it over. Didn't start, went and looked near firewall and found coolant coming from exhaust manifold gasket. I had just bought this truck and have only drivin 18 miles in it before it died. I've dropped $750. On new parts only to find myself unable to fix it. I'm really having a emotional afternoon

Thank you guys for trying to help.

hope its not the head gasket.. try drain your oil & see if theres coolant in there.

Only thing it could be or crack in block or head most likely head gasket, just replace the gasket and I would have it pressure tested and rebuilt and re-surfaced and use new upper motor gasket kit Fel-pro or do not bother.

Likely coolant from head gasket (just looks like exhaust gasket or its pushing coolant threw to exhaust in a huge amount) and not exhaust gasket but if so you will need both and do as above to confirm no cracks. Or buy a known good used motor or sell it to another, but tell them your findings.

May take time but find yourself buying a new car with full extended warranty and put in on full coverage insurance before leaving the lot. Hate to keep adding fuel but the reason for coolant pushing out was either air in the system or exhaust in the cooling system, when plugged by the cap the pressure was to great (which means the cap high pressure release is bad) and blew out the gasket for you. Normal air in the system will push the coolant level up and then go back down and repeat until its bleed the air out.

This is a picture of it. I cried. Truely. I have been working so hard for nada.

Here is alot of rust where it looks as if it's been going on for quite some time

May just be the intake gasket.