Head gasket problems

125

Asked by May 14, 2015 at 12:19 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr LS 4WD Extended Cab SB

Hi guys not sure if you remember I had a head gasket blow on my S10 2001 about a
year a go and a friend and her father changed it out, Well I checked my fluids and my
radiator was bone dry and the the oil was milky, not white but showing that it was
mixing with radiator fluids. I am a truck driver and the shop guys at my terminal says
that my head gasket is blown as in when the radiator over heated it caused for it to
leak into the oil. A mechanic then said it saves lots of time to replace the motor. Any
thoughts, questions advice>?

92,865

If it seems to run good then why change the engine, when people change a head gasket they don't have the heads checked for cracks and mill them flat, so your repair is short lived. Do you know if they did that on your rig? It does sound like the repair has failed. The only way you are really going to know is to have it torn down and checked. Replacing engines is not cheap,most engine suppliers require you to replace other components also ie radiator, water pump etc. But the choice is yours.

125

It does seem to run well. This mechanic basically said fixing the gasket was a waste of time because the engine would just end up needing replacing if I'm remembering his words correctly. But there were never any previous gasket repairs to my knowledge, just a replacement of my radiator

92,865

You stated earlier that someone did a head gasket job for you, so it ha been worked on before for this problem.

18,245

I'd just replace the motor as a whole. once water gets in the crank case your on borrowed time

125

I apologize then because my radiator blew

125

I'm sorry, what is a crank case?

125

The radiator blew before and they are telling me now that my gasket is bad.

92,865

AAHH now I get it, It can happen either way sometimes a headgasket blows and in turn it makes a lot of pressure in the cooling system blowing radiators, heater cores and water pump seals, unfortunately you don't know this until you get the cooling system repaired then it crops up that you have blown headgaskets or something deeper. Or on the other hand a radiator blows and the engine runs too hot for too long and bingo the headgaskets blow, and there again you won't know it until the cooling system is repaired. Make sense now?

Best Answer
18,245

Crankcase = where the oil goes.

125

Thank you

125

I understood that perfectly tennis shoes, thanks!!