I broke my key in my ignition, I tried breaking out column to start with screw driver but didn't go as planned, How do I hot wire it? which wires do I need to connect?

Asked by Sep 21, 2013 at 02:10 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab RWD

You can't hot wire it. A 2000 S 10 has an immobilizer. You are going to need a new column and re program the anti theft immobilizer.

80,375

Um, yeah, you can't do that!! You need to now replace the ignition lock cylinder and have the new transponder key programmed so the computer will recognize it and allow you to start the truck. HTH. -Jim

11,805

You might be able to limp it for awhile if you still have a spare key that is not broken. First how bad is the lock cylinder, would the spare go into it if you could remove the chunk of key? If the cylinder is ripped out it doesn't need to be turned the key just needs to be inserted with security wires connected, they can be spliced but limit the lenght of the wiring and use wire the same size or larger. Once the key is in turn the ignition to run do not start it. If the security light comes on you will need to let it sit for +10min then try and start it when the light goes out. If it doesn't light up try right off the bat. If the light doesn't go off the cylinder is to badly damaged and it will have to be towed. With out going into car thief territory there is no easy way to get it going without the original keys or cylinder.

2,005

FYI my 2000 S-10 doesn't have a chip in the key or a transponder to be reprogrammed. If you broke the lock cylinder you will need to :1 remove the air bag 2 pull the steering wheel 3 then remove the plastic column covers. After doing this then the lock cylinder can be replaced.The only wires that go to the lock assembly are for the key reminder. The switch part of the ignition is mounted to the end of the lock cylinder. So "hot wiring " isn't an option.

80,375

Maybe yours doesn't have a security system. If it has a "security" light that comes on briefly during start up you have a security system and the transponder key to go with it. HTH. -Jim

11,805

Trebor66 You bet. There is no chip. It should use a passlock system, if there is security. As long as the passlock portion of the cylinder is good it can still be started with the spare key provided the old portion of the broken key can be pulled out. But I said above that it doesn't have to be turned, I was wrong, the key/cylinder must be turned.