1991 s10 wont start back up when the motor gets warm

Asked by Jul 18, 2014 at 09:09 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet S-10 STD Standard Cab SB

When the motor is cold my truck will start up fine, but if I run it for a little bit and kill it, it will not start up again if it sits for longer than 5 minutes. The only way I can get it started is if I push it and dump the clutch. But if it sits for 3 hours or so it will start right up with no problem. I have been told it could be a couple different things like a bad electronic choke, or bad injectors, but nobody seems to know for sure. I am trying to figure out for sure before I have to spend too much money.

There's 2 paths of power to the ignition coil. In the start position of the ignition switch full 12 volts DC goes directly to the coil. In the run position power goes through a different, resistor wire, to step down the voltage to about 6 to 8 volts DC. Sounds like something is getting hot, expanding, and losing connection. Since the truck will start by pushing the run position power path has to be good. Look at the wiring for the start position wire. HTH. -Jim

Where exactly would I have to look, and what would I be looking for?

Look at the wiring at the starter first. One of the smaller wires on the starter solenoid is for this. Make sure the connections are clean and tight. Then, using a 12 volt DC test light check to see if the ignition coil is getting power in both the start and run positions of the ignition switch. My guess is you won't have power in the start position when the engine is hot. If this is the case you'll need to unplug the ignition switch and test for power there. If you've got power to the ignition switch then either the ignition switch is bad or the wiring between it and the ignition coil is faulty. If there's no power at the ignition switch either the starter solenoid is bad or the wiring in between the starter solenoid and the ignition switch is faulty. HTH. - Jim

I'm having the same problem and it's none of them my wires are all good anything else a mechanic said it's the throttle position sensor does you truck almost stall when you take off sometime like it falls on its face