My 91 knocks when I start it but it quietin down after it warm up....what could it be?? And how I fix it??

Asked by Jul 27, 2014 at 11:37 PM about the 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 4 Dr LX Sedan

35,405

Sounds like a lifter. Change the oil and filter and see if that doesn't help.

Chaanged that last month and its still doin it. WhTs the torque on the lifters??

35,405

The lifters aren't torqued down. They are "lifted" by the cam then they open the valves. If it's more of a CLANG CLANG as opposed to TAP TAP then it's most likely a piston problem.

Its a tap tap

35,405

Tap Tap is the better of the two. 9 times out of 10 it's a lifter. You can't get to them with out a lot of work and if if that's all it is go to the parts store and get an additive that is especially make to clean lifters. Read the I instructiond Add it to the oil. There is some dirt or a build up of varnish on one or more and it needs tobe cleaned. If it continues, then look at the rocker arms but my experience is rocker arm noise dosnt go away after warm up.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Appreciate that my guy