My 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria has trouble stopping and running can you help me.

20

Asked by Mar 27, 2016 at 11:09 PM about the 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 4 Dr LX Sedan

Yes I have a 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria I
was coming home in the car died in the
middle of the road pushed it to the side
would not start let it stand for 15 to 20
minutes tried again it started up try to put it
in gear went about five feet it died towed at
home put a new fuel filter on it ran for about
10 or 15 minutes then died let it set for half
hour drove it for about 10 or 15 minutes.
Again can somebody help me with this
problem thank you

5,785

I believe the vacuum source to the brake booster has fallen off...this would make the power brakes stop powerin' and also the mix (air/fuel) would cause the engine to run HOT!~

20

Now that doesn't seem to be the problem.

5,785

have you looked at the pipe going to the booster....this one will do as you say....NO brakes...bad running...how can this "NOT SEEM" to be the problem...believe I nailed this~! please tell me what part is not correct? yes the MIX was off...the car died~ jeez....you just cannot help some people!~

20

Hey Bob when I said stop it me I meant stop running the car stops running and shuts off the engine shuts off and then it has to wait for over half an hour before the start again and then only runs 5 to 10 minutes and sometimes I have to wait overnight to get it to run but it will run after I let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes thank you

20

Hey Bob when I said stop I meant stop running the car stops running and shuts off the engine and then it has to wait for over half an hour before the engine will start again and then only runs 5 to 10 minutes and sometimes I have to wait overnight to get it to run but it will run for 10 or 15 minutes after. Thank you

20

Bob I'd be happy if you help me. Please do so if you can thank you very much for your time.

5,785

well, I certainly appreciate your faith in me...but your problem may be more than a fallen or spit vacuum pipe~ could you do me a quick favor and just open the hood, take a look at the booster (big round thing on your firewall) there has got to be a pipe connected to the intake manifold~...this is where your trouble is~ of course with the wrong air/fuel mix will do like you say....run only once in a while...when cold, the CHOKE kicks in and makes the mix a little better...as soon as she warms up...I suspect is when it don't run okay anymore~ If I could take a look at your car may spot the other problems you got...I paint...is what I do...they threw me off when I became No.1...they said I was a better painter then carguru...if you cannot find the leakin' pipe...at least you've got one of my paintings...~

5,785

had not considered the brake booster may be toast..if the pipe is okay...you'd hear a "hissing" coming from the brake booster under the dash...actually have NEVER seen a failed booster...but you learn something new everyday~ if you're in Northern California could swing by and take a look personally~

5,785

this is a "COP car aina~? these have slightly different stuff on them...the transmissions are different, for one...more rugged police duty stuff is put on that~ kinda would need to test things to get closer to your problem~

5,785

suspect an air intake sensor...but there are a couple of sensors that might be at fault....could actually look at the MAF sensor to see if it still has any sensitivity to it or looks like a filter~ just take a look and test the sensors...suspect the MAF or air intake sensor are bad~ http://www.ebay.com/sch/Ford-LTD-Crown-Victoria- Sensors/33557/bn_1386074/i.html

52,535

Locate the ignition module and have it tested. Also the fuel pump could be going bad. You need to determine if you are losing ignition spark or fuel pressure and proceed from there. It seems that something is heating up and then shutting down. Ignoring the ramblings of Mr. Nueske would be helpful also.