I have a severe vibration when I apply the brakes. Has done this since it was pretty new. Get it fixed and returns quickly.

Asked by Sep 07, 2012 at 11:33 AM about the 2005 Ford F-150 XLT Flareside

299,925

How are you fixing it? The vibration is due to warped rotors. So the only real way to get rid of it, is to replace the rotors and new pads. Also check your front suspension parts for wear for loose parts and worn bushings.

11,275

A pulsing effect would be your rotors. If you are having a vibration, I would look at your suspension/steering components. I had a bad tie rod end on my Explorer that caused extreme vibration when I moderately applied the brakes. I am as curious as Tom, do you know what was done previously to 'fix it'?

40

Sounds like you need to check front brakes, rear brakes will usually not vibrate as you claim. I would have rotors cut if possible and replace pads with ceramic pads preferably. While at it, make sure that they check for any other cause.

8,995

If it was the rotors, then the hub surfaces should have been cleaned before the new rotors were installed. Also the wheel lug nuts should be properly torqued. Uneven lug torque can warp a rotor.

375

Is the pulse from the steering wheel or pedal? Disc or drum in the rear.

1,015

This is a but of a shot in the dark but I've seen it before. Often aftermarket brake pads will not have the ventilation groove in them that the factory pads did. This groove exists to allow the pads to cool. If they do not the heat will transfer to the rotors causing them to warp. Also some of the Fords had screws to secure the rotors to the hub. I am not sure what year they started but you truck may have had them. These screws often break off leaving the remaining portion in the hub. If the new rotors are installed on top of these broken screws it will also cause the rotors to warp. Both of these ideas are a stretch but sounds like you're running out of the common fixes. Good luck!

45

most probably ur breaks were hot n u went to a car wash or in a puddle therefore the discs got fucked up u can jus take it to a mechanic and they'll straighten it up then it'll definitely be fixed

23,960

How many times have you "fixed" it? Since it began when new, did the dealership ever fix it? What did they do? How long does it last after being fixed before the problem resurfaces? On some ford F-150's, if the rotor is removed a new nut has to be used each time the rotor is replaced (at a cost of about 30 bucks). I do not know if your truck requires the same replacement. Also, the nut has to be torqued to a specific load (I believe 200 lbs) . Check a repair book. If the same nut is being used over and over on the rotor, that could be the problem.

40

I have had the same problem for about a year now, steering wheel shimmy when braking. I pulled the rotors and put them on a lathe to turn thinking this was the problem. I indicated the mounting surface to within 0.002", then checked the rotor braking surface, was within 0.004". All sides were indicated and got similar readings, so that's not the problem. I checked the bearing hub assemblies, no play whatsoever with the wheels mounted. I have a 2012 with Eco- boost and have no issues other than this. Don't want to part with the truck, but this is annoying.

23,960

JCMAC: Begin a new question, this one is three years old.

10

Brake lines underhood may have collapsed, check there

20

I have a 2000 f150 it is vibrating the whole front end when I apply hard pressure to them. Mine almost stopped doing it when I greased the steering components. I am pretty sure I need to replace steering linkage because boots are gone. But I replaced drums and rotors and pads with all new so I know for a fact that is not the case with mine.

10

Replace bushings. Damn ford. ...

20

I had an issue with vibration when braking from ~30 and up. Just replaced my rear rotors and pads today. Shake gone.

10

My front end shakes when apply. brakes I put new rottors and new caliper on passenger side could it de the pads need to be changed the pads on there are 2 months old but I used them with a warped rottor

10

Control arm bushings lower, replaced no other problems.

My problem is intermittent. It only happens when start the vehicle and shift it IMMEDIATELY into reverse, back-up, and shift into drive, and then brake as I'm exiting my driveway (which is slightly downhill). If I turn-off the vehicle at the end of the driveway, restart it, and WAIT for the computer system to completely go through it cycling routine (which takes only a few seconds), the problem does not recur. I'm of the opinion that it's not my rotors, but the ABS system malfunctioning due to my failure to let the computer system to perform a complete cycle immediately after start-up.