02 impala - overheating

Asked by Jan 04, 2014 at 02:30 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Impala Base

I have a 2002 chevy impala v6 3.4 liter sudan. on the 20th of this month, I had the
termostat changed because the line in the car kept going over to red and saying
coolant temp hot put coolant in. even after that the line still would go over to the red
while driving and then would come out the red but settle a line or two just before the
red. the car just sat for a week and a half for holiday. now were back yesterday drove to
the store, line still going over to red while drive but came back over to the line or two
just before red. No heat was coming from the heater in the inside. My babies and my
mom was in the car so left the car running sitting idle while I went in the store so they
would possibly stay warm. Came back in, put it in gear and (not even out of parking
spot) line went straight to red and so much smoke came out from under hood. towed
car home. oh yeah, radiator was changed in May or June. Please advise as not a car
person,but without a car right now. Thank you.

Since you overheated the car multiple times, you could have damaged the head gasket of head. I can only suggest to have it inspected by a local mechanic since you don't work on cars yourself.

I agree with Tom about the head gasket. Also are you sure they got all the air out of the cooling system when they changes the thermostat? If not an air pocket in system could cause overheating symptoms. And also no heat inside of car.

Yes, unfortunately the 3.4s are notorious for blowing head gaskets. HTH. -Jim

John Carson

Have who ever check out the engine to remove and check the thermostat also. It may have been put in upside down creating a blockage also. If you don't get hot air from the heater system, it sound like there is no water moving throughout the engine. Did they put new hoses on? Old ones may collapse and prevent the water from flowing. Make sure the person working on the car knows what he is doing. It will cost money to fix it for sure, but spend it wisely, and once. Sometimes a little bit more will be spent up front, but in the long run, it will be spent only once.

Kristeen Barry

how to get air out of radiator