2002 Cavalier LS, Replaced Starter, still wont start.

Michael Sandoval

Asked by Jan 20, 2015 at 11:05 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Coupe

I got in my car this morning and it started right up as usual, driving down the road, I
shifted into third and was accelerating when it just shut off. No sputtering or anything,
just turned off. Radio etc. were still on and power seemed strong so I don't think its the
alternator. Replaced the starter and nothing. The starter spins, but doesnt sound like
the engine is trying to turn over. No belts lost. My father said maybe the clutch ignition
switch, what else could it be?

If the starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel to crank the engine then either the Bendix isn't pushing the starter drive gear forward (bad starter solenoid) or the flywheel is missing some teeth, or the starter isn't shimmed properly. Can you push start it? I'm assuming it's a stick shift. Oh and since the starter is spinning that rules out the clutch safety switch. HTH. - Jim

Michael Sandoval

I hadn't tried push starting yet, but I will when I get home.

Ok good. Let us know how you make out. -Jim

Michael Sandoval

Tried jumping the car today to see rule out the battery and alternator, but that didn't help, even after letting it charge for a bit. I was able to borrow a diagnostic tool and got "no codes". I'll try push starting tomorrow when I'll have help to push the car back up my drive way and out of the road after letting it roll.

Michael Sandoval

Ok, so I had a friend come over that works on cars. Said it sounded like I wasn't getting any fire so he tested all my fuses and the ignition. He said there was juice coming through to the ignition module but it stopped there. He checked the spark plugs and said they were fine so I replaced the ignition module and ignition coil (both non-returnable) still nothing.

Ok, to be absolutely sure you've got no power to the spark plugs do this. Install a spark tester (that plugs in between the plug and boot) and crank the engine. The tester should flash as the engine is cranking. If it does, run a compression test. If all cylinders test low on the compression test it's jumped timing. If you have no spark at the plugs check for a blown ignition fuse. If that is ok check for an open crankshaft and/or camshaft sensor. If either is open the computer won't know that the engine is cranking so ignition won't be supplied. HTH. -Jim

Jojo Beall

I have the same problem with my cavalier can you please tell me what you did to fix it? I can not figure it out