Radiator fan will not turn of on cavalier

Asked by Dec 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

13,565

After you turn the ignition switch to the off position, does it continue to run? Some fans will run for a few minutes to cool what is in the radiator. It will turn off on a predetermined or set timer. If this is not the case, the relay switch to the fan motor is shorted out and is not turning off the fan. I have bypassed the relay on my Corvette and have it hard wired to the ignition switch to have the fans run as soon as the power to the car is turned on at the ignition switch. My motor has a tendency to run hot, so I did that because the weakest part of the electrical fans is the thermostat relay. I didn't want the relay to fail and not cool the radiator while driving it. In 12 years I have had the fans themselves short out and burn up. Not catch on fire, but melt the wiring to the fan. I then got good reliable fans and have not had any problems.

13,565

Short answer: It is your thermostat to the fan that is shorted out.

I kept my fan running 100% when the car is on. Just make sure to turn OFF all your fans on the dash otherwise the fan will keep running and drain your battery. Drove the car like this the last 8 years of it's life. Had it for 21 years (retired it 8/7/15) and bought it used when it was 7 years old:)

13,565

My radiator fans are tied into the ignition switch. When I turn on the key to run (not the start part) the fans run. They turn off when my key is in the off position. I also am retired and don't always trust my memory to remember to flip all the necessary switches when getting out of the car. :-)

that's cool califcarson. glad it works well for you. my poor cav was having heating probs so I had it where the fan stayed on continually so the car didn't over heat. Went that way for the last 8 years:) take care.