How to fix a clutch switch and where is it located

1,220

Asked by Apr 24, 2010 at 02:28 PM about the 1990 Ford F-150 S LB

I have to press SUPER hard to get it to start

615

the switch is either under the floormat mounted to the floor. or its up under the dash mounted somehow to the clutch pedal

1,220

How to fix a clutch switch. I have to press super hard to get it to start

1,220

How can I adjust the clutch switch, so I don't have to press so hard to get it to start?

615

look at the switch and see how it operates.. then see if you can adjust it closer to the pedal mechanism.. or change the switch

50

Be sure to check the plastic bushing, on the clutch rod, it gets worn down. That part is available from the dealers ( for about $3.00 ), and is not hard to replace. Just snap the rod off the pin, push out the old bushing, and snap the new one in place. Some grease will make it last, and snap it back onto the pin. When you look at the bushing, moving the clutch pedal by hand, will show you if it is worn. Good luck.

it is your nutural safty switch that is bad,no adj.it is the switch on the clutch peddle,like the break light switch on the break peddle.easy to remove and install,rember it has a electeral plugin on it.

50

Remove lower part of dash - under steering wheel. clutch safety switch is located on the hydraulic clutch piston rod - sort of a crank assembly found on the pedal shaft on the end opposite the clutch pedal. Unplug safety switch. The switch itself is built around the hydraulic clutch piston rod. The crank is connected to the piston by a ball joint with a nylon bushing inserted. Gently pry apart ball joint. Raise the hood. The clutch hydraulic master cylinder is located on the firewall inboard of the brake master cylinder/power brake unit. remove nuts holding clutch master cylinder to firewall. Master cylinder can now be pulled away from the firewall .......no fluid will leak out. You will probably find that the problem is really in the shaft which the clutch and brake pedals ride on. The bushings on the shaft will get worn out and then the driver will continue to damage the shaft by pushing harder and harder on the clutch pedal until the shaft in damaged. You cannot replace the bushings on the shaft without removing the entire pedal assembly from the truck. I ordered a new one from OEM Select Parts (sales@oemselect.com) part number F3TZZ2455A. As you will see, the whole pedal assembly comes as a unit. I am very happy with this part. This operation will require back breaking contortions, at least a dozen band-aids (lotsa sharp edges under there) a full bottle of Tylenol and fluent profanity. If I can help - Scot Barr ssmdy@sbcglobal.net - Like I say, I doubt if the problem is in the safety switch.

yep, it was the bushing alright...thanks rikkoppen. there was so much play between the pin on the pedal arm and the switch actuator (because the bushing was almost gone) so that I could barely get the vehicle to start tonight even when pushing extremely hard on the pedal to the floor. How can this really be a "safety" switch when failure means possibly being stranded miles and miles from nowhere?!!!!!!