MMy dad has a 1992 Ford straight 6 flare side and I know there is a safety switch on the clutch and he has to slam the clutch almost through the floor to get the truck started. How can he fix this and can it be adjusted. One friend told me and I saw it online another place that you can dissasemble it and wire it back together bypassing the safety switch. I need some advice on the best and or cheapest way to fix it. Thanks

10

Asked by Mar 06, 2013 at 10:23 AM about the 1992 Ford F-150 S 4WD SB

MMy dad has a 1992 Ford straight 6 flare side and I know there
is a safety switch on the clutch and he has to slam the clutch
almost through the floor to get the truck started. How can he fix
this and

98,205

On my 2002 car, the switch is mounted on the floor. The clutch pedal goes down and closes the switch. On one car, I put some shims behind the switch so I didn't have to push down so hard. --- In your case, look on the floor, find the switch and either shim it or splice the wires together. -- In the old days, people were smart enough to push the clutch in when starting to reduce the load on the starter. Now everything is interlocked to protect us from moronic behavior.

10

LOL I know. Thanks pal

10

Yes because once its started the clutch does not have to be compressed much to shift but to get it started is another question. Really hard .. bad!

Like tenspeed said, they try to make everything idiot proof. But that will never happen anyway, it only serves to make things more difficult, and I really like the part about people used to be smart enough. How true... and every little thing like that adds up to higher new car prices. My car has an "event recorder", if anything happens that deploys air bags they, and "they" meaning the cops and insurance companies can tell: Date/time, throttle amount, speed, gear, brake application and the last time you brushed your teeth. Some even video, all for the last 90 seconds in a contiguous loop before air bags. I guess it could be a good thing, if you are in the 'right'...and it added god knows what to the price of the car. Here in my town a cop T boned another cop..they were parked one in front of the other, the front cop pulled away and did a U turn and the one behind hit the gas while the first was sideways and would have killed him if not for the armored door. Video showed it all, but get this: at that exact moment cop 2 that plowed in to cop 1 was TEXTING. Off topic but I decided there can be no such thing as too much warning about texting and driving

18,870

Maybe it a good idea. When I began to drive very few people had automatic trannys. A guy down the block bought a new 55 Ford Crown Vic and there was a piece of chrome on the rear that said Ford-O-Matic. When I got my first license you had to take the test with a standard tranny to prove you knew how to think and chew gum at the same time. Well, driving for years with standard trannys, I got use to it. My first car with an auto was in the 60's. For months, everytime I got into the car I slammed my left foot onto the floorboard looking for the clutch before starting. I can just see someone leaving their car in reverse on a column shift vehicle and have someone get in and turn the key.