I have an 03 Impala that has just had engine replaced and head gaskets. Runs good but stalls while idling, then won't start for like 20 mins. And then only starts for a few minutes at most.?????

Heather Kelly

Asked by Mar 25, 2015 at 09:23 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Impala Base

Jacob Brown

Is it overheating?

Could be a bad IAC valve, (Idlle Air Control) or a bad Engine Coolant Temp Sensor. Do you have a check engine light on? If so, you should have the error codes read and post them back here. Most auto stores will read your codes for you. Try Autozone.

Heather Kelly

No not overheating. It stalls before it gets anywhere that temp.It won't stay running long enough for me to have codes read, besides a exhaust recirculation sensor low, that was there before.

Heather Kelly

It won't stay running long enough to read the codes or take it anywhere to have them read codes

Do you know cars or have anyone to help you?

Heather Kelly

Yes i have a friend that has been helping me with this. But he seems to think if I replace fuel filter, that will take care of the problem. But that doesn't explain me smelling coolant after car is turned off. His car knowledge is limited at best.

The car doesn't need to run to read the codes

Heather Kelly

The reader says waiting for car to respond when i plug it in. If car isn't on

The only thing I can suggest without codes is to buy a can of throttle body cleaner and a can of MAF cleaner. I would remove the throttle body and thoroughly clean it as well as the IAC valve. I would then remove the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) and clean that. You can watch Youtube videos that will explain how to remove and clean those parts. Should be minimal expense for the cleaners. Maybe $20 for the two cans. This may at least get the car to run better if not back to normal. That way you can at least go some place to have the codes read. Then you will at least be buying the correct parts to replace.

Best Answer