abs light keeps coming on and off

Asked by Jun 20, 2013 at 09:23 AM about the 1998 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2 Dr STD Convertible

a couple of days ago while accelerating to about  40mph while getting on the highway the  ABS light came on.It stayed on til as I was exiting the highway and applied the brake.Then it came back on.After parking the car for about 2 hrs the light was off when I started to leave.It came on again for a short while and then off.Sometimes it stays on longer even though I've not gone over 45mph.Then it comes on when I get in and its the first start of the day.I went to Firestone and they attempted to check the ABS module but said that it would not communicate with there computor.The other modules did respond and so they said that I should take it to the dealer.Know this will probably be a big bill.Any ideas before I go that direction.Thanks

YOu need a new ABS module. Solder joints are bad. Here is a forum post that will explain it, and how to fix......http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/abs-light-diagnosis-and-fix.842693/

Take it to the Dealer. They have the proper equipment to diagnose the concern and fix it the first time. I know, it costs more but, you're getting training, experience, OEM parts and a warranty. Or, you can throw money at it until you fix it.

Your rotors are dirty need to polish all four rotors the notches on the back side are what I'm talking about that are inline with the ABS sensor ,they are not making contact all the time,clean the brake dust off the sensors also it only takes one notch to throw it off. About two hrs.work will take care of this problem.

What? Polish rotors? Why? Do you want to cause an accident? Those sensors and rings can and do take a ton of crap thrown at them every day! Your suggestion Cobramaster is dangerous and irreverent.

Alison O'Hara

Carefully clean rotors and sensors is not dangerous but if in doubt get a pro to do the job ,but if going ahead yourself a light hand is best.