Hi , I have a 99' svt cobra , when I lift both rear wheels off the ground and then turn the wheels , it seems that I have some play there ? Is that normal ?

5

Asked by Apr 09, 2012 at 07:39 PM about the Ford Mustang SVT Cobra

my 99' svt cobra makes a sound when im backing out of the driveway as im turning and backing at the same ? Is
this normal , I lifted the car up off the rear wheels and turned the wheels and noticed some play which also makes
a comparable sound , not sure what to make of this , otherwise the car drive extremely wheel ?

425

is it a popping, creaking can you somewhat describe the noise. only when backing out?

5

yes it is , it seems to get louder when im actually on an incline while im turning as im reversing , the other thing is that I jacked up the car's rear end and spun the wheels back and fourth and it seems to have what I would think alot of play ?

6,685

Time to open the differential and see what the gods have done in there, coulod be broken clutch packs for the posi.

Yes this is normal. No need to open the rear end. Do you hear whrrling noise when running? Means, some ware. If not loud, you should be OK.

8,405

The FIRST thing I would look at is the U-joints. I would bet you have play in the rear for sure, and quite possibly the front as well. This is a simple, one hour, do-it-yourself repair that should come to less that $60 for both, included sales tax. Get the heavy duty ones, not the lighter duty, greasable ones. The ones with the grease fittings are just not quite as strong because the fitting itself weakens the main part of the joint.