My 04 Venture, Cranks won't start

Asked by Jun 06, 2017 at 04:15 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Venture LS Extended

just got it used, wouldn't pass smog obd2 code cyl 3 misfire,  replaced all these parts at 148k its time to tune it, replaced missing Key fobs,replaced Fuel pump,Filter & Relay, Plugs, (#3 was cracked) Wires, Coils, MAP & MAS Sensors, Battery ,changed the hoses, filters & fluids . it started perfect like a brand new car  ran for about one minute then just shut down like it had no gas. checked all the fuses , now it cranks wont start , no engine light ? someone said maybe the anti-theft ? I don't think it has one ? any ideas

580

Go back over what you replaced. Inspect very closely to any wiring routed wrong. Make sure nothing is pinched. When you replaced ignition coils did you remove the coil packs with module. Check wiring to ignition module. Make sure wiring is routed properly. On driver side of ignition module. There is a 2 wire plug connector on that side. Those wires can get burned very easily. It does have security. If engaged it would flash on message center.

I will check those today, I really didn't like how GM routed them thru the exhaust manifold that way..

580

I know exactly. I've had it happen to me.

20

You mentioned that you got new Key Fobs. Did you program with the original Key Fob that starts the car? It can shut it down if doesn't recognize the right transponder in the key, or the key fobs are not programmed right. With every thing digital and computer programmed...it's a pain. What codes came up after all this?

20

Anti-Theft is programmed with the transponder key. Chev 2005 comes with anti theft; Believe 2004 does also. There is no better way to find out than go on www.YouTube.com type in your question and see who has same problem. Chevy has over 200 videos on various fixes, problems etc. Good luck

I've ran through the entire van and my last item checked was x7 Crankcase position sensor. I had both 12v dc Pos+ and 12v dcNeg-, I checked the Purple/Yellow twisted pair that run behind the motor and my readings were .53 AC - 1.02 AC, Last but not least on the same pair my Ohms came in at .675 so according to the G.M test my sensor is good and my Ignition Control Module is at fault. Since this all started with a mis-fire cyl #3 it would have made better sense if the dang #3 plug wasn't cracked. so I will change out the module this week , Hope it works ! If not I'll have a venture for sale real cheap...

20

Good luck. At least it's not the BCM, which if you had to replace has to be "flashed" by the dealer, as they have the equipment to reprogram it to your individual car based on the Vin # and also control over all the electrical systems of the car and communicates with the other modules in car. Info for the future: the BCM has 2 versions; Version 3 & 4. The Version 4 is used for anti-theft system alarm but also includes the "feature" that will flash the lights & beep the horn to confirm van is locked. Make sure battery disconnected before replacing any Module & Relays.

I have a 2004 chevy venture it cranks but won't start