wont run except when pedal is floored

Asked by Apr 19, 2013 at 09:32 AM about the 1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 4 Dr 190E 2.3 Sedan

is 1993 190e with 2.3 mech injectionwill start if gas is poured in breather and run if gas pedal is floored if you let up on pedal it will die any ideas

think the EGR valve is stuck, what is supposed to be doing is introducing exhaust gas on deceleration, fresh air. unbolt this device and clean it with some carburetor cleaner, check the source for it's actuation (leaking vacuum hose or faulty 12 volt signal) and see if you can make it work properly~ this would be my only guess~

thanks will try it

judge EGR is not designed to work on deceleration. It very well could be stuck but the way you have explained egr to work in multiple answers is incorrect. and do you even know if this vehicle has egr? If your gonna post information on here it should be correct. Giving ideas on what a problem could be is another story there can be many good answers to that. but the way a system works is a different story it only works one way and it proven to work that way you need to get your facts straight.

Maybe Idle air control valve dirty or faulty if so equipped.

if it's smog compliant it has an EGR~ foreign vehicles not apply, Guess I should have checked if bigbob62 was out of the US and not subject to EPA restrictions, but in my job as a mechanic 93-96 have found this a most troublesome device~ could start pullin' threads off internet's sweater, but no more believable than my own first hand experience...doubter~

Any time other than idle closed throttle and wide open throttle. Pretty much when your cruising at part throttle is when it comes on. And il bot a smarty pants i just know how it works sorry

Im sure you dont need me to tell you. You can look it up and get a better explination than i can give you. But i know for a fact egr shuts off when you close the throttle ive donr plenty of work to know this. Its not a big secret its common knowledge to any compatent mechanic i would think

it does have egr valve and was bought on west coast

Well now the world knows, the vehicle needs a solid air-fuel mix, (not contaminated with it's own exhaust) to work properly...apparently NOT the egr according to some, but which other device is gonna do that for you?....you could take it apart, and call me a fool if cleaning it does not fix your problem....as my co-hort may disagree with~

funny how dude takes issue, yet does not offer an alternative~ will be happy to study the workings of the whole system with you, and we will discover together what makes it do what it's doing....it's called learning, and do quite a bit of it solving various car problems~

Judge you like to take little shots here and there dont ya, think your cute eh? I dont know anything about a 1993 mercedes I had issue with the way you explained how it worked. I had no issue with your diagnosis, just that the egr does not work the way you described. get over yourself good lord.

cruising the forums on this subject because one guy mentioned idle air control is they seem to think that you have dirty gas or gas that's been in storage for a long time. you haven't got any issues with this gas, it's clean and fresh?

It's all good...even if it isn't~

Your 190 has Bosch CIS-E injection system. When fools rush in, where competent mechanic fear to tread they will attempt to make adjustments without knowing what they're doing and really mess things up. If some fool tried adjusting the lambda by turning the small 4 mm allen screw near the air metering plate (the big round disk), then you'll have to find a competent mechanic to fix it. If not then I'd be looking for un-metered air (vacuum leak). Most common sources are the rubber boot between the air metering plate (big round disk) and the throttle plate (way down below the big round disk and hard to get at). Or intake manifold gaskets, but you sound like you have a large leak if the engine only runs with you foot to the floor.