is there a temporary workaround for a blown heater core?

Asked by Aug 04, 2014 at 11:23 AM about the 1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 4 Dr 190E 2.6 Sedan

heard a hissing sound like a hose was leaking,  windshield started fogging up with hot air blowing on it from vent.  hot liquid began dripping on my foot from somewhere over the accelerator pedal.  then coolant light came on.  put water in and light went out and windshield cleared for a while then it all happened again.  did some research to see if it was ok to drive far enough to get home and found that it was the heater core and that there was a cheap temporary workaround involving rerouting some hoses.  i'm not a mechanic - i'd like to try to give this info to whoever fixes the car so i can delay the expensive installation of the heater core until i can afford it.   thank you

If it is set up where the supply and return hoses for the core are attached to or going through firewall, remove at firewall and splice together

Shirley Harper

How can I get around on fixing heater core on a 1987 190e 2.3 until I get the money can I get heat