Stalling

Asked by Mar 10, 2013 at 09:04 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4 Dr Z85 4WD Extended Cab SB

HaVE A 2004 Colorado 5 cyl 4x4 4 dr. and I have replaced spark plugs ,brakes ,rotars
,cleaned Intake ,and changed a hose that was rotted under valve cover and put new air filter
,The idle is just under 1 when sitting there idling  until i drive it then start to apply brakes to
stop or slow down it  stalls out on me .Any ideas ?????????? deperate to find problem so i have a
vehicle to drive

think that you may have created a leak in your zeal to make it right. At the shop where I worked used to find these leaks with a simple unlit propane torch...just wave it above the intake connecting tubes, and as soon as the speed increases, you've found you leaker!

67,465

We have Colorados as delivery vehicles at the NAPA auto parts store where I work. When they get some mileage on them, say around 120,000, they'll start to "hunt" at idle as you approach a stop. That is the idle will go up & down a few times as you approach a stop light. Sometimes they'll stall. You'll want to clean the throttle plates, inspect the IAC (idle air control) valve for dirt and deposits, then have a shop Motovac the intake system. Motovac is a service where strong cleaners are put directly into your fuel system through the service port on the fuel rail. This cleans your fuel injectors, combustion chambers, & valves. We've had this service done on 2 of our delivery Colorado's. A 2004 & a 2005. The '04 got totalled but the '05 is still running strong with 211,000 miles on it. HTH. - Jim

Best Answer
30

i have a 2008 chevi colorado in the morning start and wants to shot off by sef and come back normal again

50

what the hell did you say????????

5

I have an '07 Colorado, with just over 255K miles on it. It recently started exhibiting the issues discussed here. A friend and I gave it the "Seafoam" treatment by removing the vacuum hose from the throttle body assembly, and connecting an alternate hose with one end open to suck up 1/3 of the can directly into the intake while idling the truck at an elevated RPM (basically one person on the accelerator, the other person administering the treatment with the hose). I let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then poured 1/3 of the can into the crank case (where you pour the engine oil in), and then the remainder into the fuel tank. The truck's idle is now more smooth, and is slower to stall than before, but the issue still persists. As of this writing, I haven't given the fuel tank with the remainder of the can in it its full run-through, so I don't know if it'll get any better with this treatment. If not, then I will move on to the Motovac treatment as stated above and hopefully that'll remedy my issue finally. The weirdest thing is that it only wants to stall if I have to do a hard brake or if I'm slowing down and turning right-- and only when turning right. No issue at all if I'm turning left. I hope my experience here helps someone else in the future with any similar problem, and I'll try and return with a follow-up update if possible.

5

System cleaned, throttle body removed and thoroughly cleaned, and all-new spark plugs for good measure. Truck idles more smoothly, however still persists with the stalling issue when stopping or turning right. Probably going to have the cam positioning sensor/solenoid checked soon.

Sounds like a shift solenoid in the tranny

My 08 Colorado would idle rough when stopping and when pulling off the highway and a few times even died, I went through everything with no luck, then I changed the crankshaft sensor located about 5 inches above and to the right of the oil drain plug, 33 dollars and 10 minutes, runs great no more problems with the idle,