Why won't my radio turn on or my lighter plugs work?

10

Asked by Mar 16, 2014 at 07:30 AM about the 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4 Dr V6 4WD Extended Cab SB

In August I took my truck to get detailed. After leaving the detail shop I noticed my radio, clock and lighter plugs were not working. I went home and replaced all the fuses for those particular areas thinking that was the issue. Looking at the fuses, none were blown. I took my truck to a mechanic who said it had nothing to do with fuses, rather my stereo was just blown. Said it was common in my make and model of truck. I just purchased a new stereo, went through the hasle of bypassing connections, crimping caps, wire harnesses, everything. Plugged in new stereo and nothing, no power. I'm not sure where to go from here, or where exaxtly to look and check. Can anyone help with guiding me? i cant seem to locate any guides for a wiring diagram. I dont know where to begin. Thank you for your help.

22,445

your first mistake was driving away from the detail shop without holding them responsible- second mistake, taking it to a "mechanic" who just diagnoses by lookin' at somethin'- you can make your new stereo work by finding which wire is hot with a test light- if there are no hot wires there, of course we know that the detail shop messed somethin' up real good, just run another wire from something close that IS hot- usually a lighter or heater- a stereo shouldn't draw too much power on another circuit- if you want it done right however, take it to a pro who can figure out what is REALLY wrong- might be a ground or a fusible link- good luck with all that-

1,565

Sounds you have done all the right things- maybe just up to the new stereo part. Please don't think I being a wise-in-himer; but maybe you should consider contacting a Toyota Dealer? Sometimes the extra money spent there, is worth the value you get to have it fixed by the guys that work on them everyday and they wont put in some shortcut that leads to bigger safety/functional problems- at least get their bid for the work and what they recommend to be done. I know that idea flys in the face of the DYI aspect of this forum. But your have already bought a new stereo and are still in the same boat. So throwing new parts at the problem just makes mechanics rich and you poorer. Sorry. I sound so "un-helpful" but situations like this drive us all crazy- cause it shouldn't have to be that hard, darn-It. Good Luck

40

It sounds like a circuit failure. It may be that Toyota used a fusible link to protect the circuit. That's a short length of insulated wire with a molded plastic flag on it to identify it, which is placed inline in the wiring harness. It's designed to melt if overloaded and save your wiring harness and possible fire. A high-powered stereo with lots of speakers draws a lot of current when the volume is turned way up (which may have entertained the guys in the detail shop). Check to see if you may have one of these fusible links. You may also have more than one fuse box. Have you looked for a second one?

my radio on my 2005 toyota tacoma stopped working. i finally found the faulty fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. it was a 10 A fuse. the diagram is under the lid of the fuse box. the fuse in question was on the lower left side.