battery light on, off

Asked by Jun 14, 2014 at 08:35 PM about the 2002 Toyota Tacoma 2 Dr STD 4WD Standard Cab LB

I took my Tacoma 2002 to the shop because the battery light came on several times; the service guy tested the battery and the alternator and both checked OK
What else can cause the light to turn on?

Loose/dirty battery connections will cause this. Also check the negative battery connections on the frame and motor. Loose/slipping alternator belt will also cause this.

dandyoun has the best DYI for you to do. (How tos are elsewhere in the forum). Then if you do need to have it worked on. I'd take it somewhere else. No certified mechanic would have let you drive off without checking those other "normal" possibilities. Your guy was ineffective at best.

dandyoun, I have checked the terminals and connections. Everything is tight and clean. The dealer service receipt mentions they checked the belt and everything OK. Is it possible that Emissions problems could cause service lights to come on? Thanks for your answers, guys.

Is it your battery light or check engine light(service engine)? If check engine light then have the codes read. Auto zone will do this for free. Post codes back on here and we can narrow down the issues you are having. Check engine light typically is an emissions issue. Need to have codes read. Serious damage can be caused to cat converter in some situations.

No, it is the battery light. The car starts OK, then the light comes on and after driving for a while goes out. I do not have Autozone in town, can I drive safely to the next town, about 20/30 miles?

Ok battery lights are typically turned on due to one or more of the following. Loose connections, dirty connections, worn out connectors, dirty/loose frame /motor negative battery connections, loose alternator belt, weak/bad battery and/or weak/bad alternator. I feel you will find your solution in one of these items.

With it coming on then going out I would check alternator belt tension first.

Shane Benson

So I am dealing with this problem now. My 2001 Tacoma has ran great but for a while I could hear a belt slip but didn't cause any problems Then this Thanksgiving weekend the light was on and the battery was dying. Radio, dash, and heater fan all stopped, then the truck stopped cuz there was no more battery to power the fuel injection. So I bought a new battery to keep from being toed. Worked till I got where I was going. We took the battery out charged both (old and new battery). Cleaned all the terminals cuz I have a corrosion problem. Got home and took it to the shop. They changed the bets and connections and what not. Sent it home. Worked for a day. The following day the starter seized up. Took it back, they replaced the starter. And now today the battery light is back. Off and on. Idk what else to do.

Problem solved, Finally my car started to slow down and stopped (thank God!) when arriving at my house, It was a bad alternator. I had to replace both to the tune of $8oo+.

Tessa2002 Thanks for the update; good to know you're on the road .

Chris Schlegel

$800 to replace the bad alternator? $800? Holy Chit my man. It's a Toyota not a Maserati