How do I get to the back of my speedo to check wiring?

10

Asked by Apr 14, 2011 at 07:13 PM about the 1992 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr Deluxe 4WD Extended Cab SB

Aloha:  My speedo quit working recently after a couple weeks of jerky, on-off
behavior.  Sometimes the odo would continue functioning, but not always.  I
made the choice to get a new speed sensor but that swap didn't help.  So now
trying to determine if there is a wiring problem, but I can't get to the back of the
speedo from underneath as there is a large metal piece obstructing passage.  
Can't even get my hand up there to feel around.  How do I access that gauge?

10

OK, question answered. Took me forever as there is quite a bit of 'learning curve' involved in the absence of any information/instruction. Here's what I did: One takes the bottom panel off,, and one screw ( which hides behind the heater control panel) holding the fascia trim around the gauge cluster and the air vents. The trim has a couple snap-fits which can be pushpulled out. You may have to lower the steering column to its max deflection in order to get the trim over the tilt lever. Once the trim is out you'll see 4 screws holding the cluster. So lo and behold, there is no 'back of the speedometer'. Just a bunch of circuits and bumps and holes. The gauges are all in one piece(cluster). If my problem is in there, I have no idea how to test for it. Anyone got experience with that?