92 toyota paseo turned off and oil spilled all over road??????

45

Asked by Nov 10, 2012 at 01:11 PM about the 1992 Toyota Paseo 2 Dr STD Coupe

I have a 92 toyota paseo. LOVE IT. Up until this last year it has given me problems. It has over 350,000 miles. Still
running at least until today. Was driving it and all of a sudden it turned off the engine light flashed and turned off.
Then so did the whole car. Pushed it up to the gas station. Noticed liquid on the floor. I thought it was water but its
oil. Any thoughts on what it could be????? Did not smell any burning smell or hear or feelt any jerks or pops
etc...just turned off...

125

Was it leaking oil and you didn't know? Were the pistons knocking and you ignored it? What kind of problems were you having. Despite the Paseo's reputation for reliability, if you don't put oil in this car, you're done! I made a mistake of leaving the oil cap off and did not replace the oil the spilled out. After a month, I had to either put a new engine in the car, fix the pistons that were loose, or get a new car. I opted for another Paseo and I monitor the oil like a hawk ever since, and I have had mine for 3 years. You should describe what problems you are having with it, what noises and things are going on. Then perhaps someone can take a guess

45

No it was not leaking oil. I just put a quart in in this week. The caps been on. Thats why in the description box it states did not hear, smell or feel any jerks..popping noises nothing at all etc... Dont know how else to describe it. It just spilled.

125

If you put in a quart, then it is losing oil. Hopefully you never forgot to add the oil and engine did not seize. Hopefully, you did regular oil changes. Hopefully, the oil seals/gaskets are either new or have miraculously escaped being worn out despite the high mileage,and hopefully, the gaskets didn't just give out. I have a car just like yours and I can't wait to change all the oil seals, and I am only at 200,000 miles. I am scared of having another car gushing rivers of oil on the road. If it's not the oil and the gaskets, it will usually be an electrical problem(distributor/alternator), fuel problem(injectors/fuel filter), in short, you've got a problem where you will really have to dig in. This is, unfortunately, a problem where you will really have to dig in. Best of luck and let us know what turns out. Hopefully it's not as bad as I am portraying it, but just might be.