I just replaced the engine on my 92 toyota paseo.

55

Asked by Jan 02, 2013 at 10:31 PM about the 1992 Toyota Paseo 2 Dr STD Coupe

I just literally replaced the engine on my 92 Toyota Paseo.  Took it work today and was putting it in reverse when I
heard a popping sound. I drove fine up until I got onto the freeway. I was able to hit 70mph but the rpm's were at
about 4000. Also the cars over drive did not seem to work anymore. Any ideas what it could be? Ive replaced the
distributor cap, radiator,battery, spark plugs, new wires for the spark plugs, oil and transmission oil obviously. Still
has original transmission. The old engine had 286,000 miles.

2,055

Was your overdrive working prior to the pop noise? if not / unknown, did the pop noise sound like it was coming under the car or possibly from suspension? was it more like a kinking noise?

55

Yes the overdrive was working prior to the pop noise. Was not coming from the suspension, but did come from under the car. No kinking noise. I took it back to my mechanic he checked it out. He stated some transmissions need to adjust to the new engine power and to wait it out. He said everything should be fine. Does that sound accurate?

2,055

personally, no.. engine is mechanical not biological... there's no adjusting to engine power, it either handles it or it doesnt and it deteriorates slowly or swiftly... there is a break in period, but it shouldn't be making pop noises... id get a second opinion... last thing you want is to burn up ur tranny thinking its just breaking in or adjusting.