What does the "Check Engine" symbol and light mean? Toyota has not been able to determine why it keeps coming on? Any clues?

Asked by Jan 20, 2007 at 09:06 PM about the 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD

After Toyota kept telling their diagnostic tests showed nothing wrong with engine, etc.,  they couldn't figure out why the light kept coming on after a few miles of driving.  Through our pesistance, they took the front interior panel off, tried to narrow the search codes down and made a hypothetical claim that one of the sensor wires is probably worn and it will cost approx $5000 to get to and fix.  In addition they said it may not pass smog either because of this.  Of course, we were shocked and not quite sure we believe they really research the problem correctly.  Please give us some assistance in determining this light warning and should we contact corporate toyota and go to another dealership?  Help!

14,640

Hello moniqp-- Run, don't walk to another mechanic. Reasons that the check engine light come on range from those cheap to fix to the more expensive. An honest mechanic will start with the simple, less expensive possibilities and exhaust all of those (such as, did you keep the car running while filling with gas, thus letting air into your fuel system?) before moving to the complex and expensive (such as a complete emissions system overhaul.) Always look for a second opinion if you are at all in doubt, and I mean if the problems is with your cat, your heart or your car. Good luck from Bovan.