1988 Land Cruiser -- After driving on the freeway for a while, then stop someplace, turning off the engine, then it won't start again. The engine doesn't turn, but all the lights and electrical work.

Asked by Jul 24, 2015 at 04:37 PM about the 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD

I've already had the starter rely replaced, do I need to replace the starter? The mechanic I
go to says it's not the original starter, so it sounds like it's already been changed
sometime before. AAA guy told me to keep turning, turning, turning the key until it latches
and turns on, and it does at times or just sit waiting for 20 -30 min. before that works
again. Thank you!

116,535

Sounds like the starter is not close enough to the plate. I think you should get the correct starter installed.

Joemom, thank you for your reply. I'm going to take it in for servicing, if I tell the repair tech about the "starter not being close enough to the plate" is that something he should know? Or should I just ask him to replace the starter? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the mechanics of a car, so my question may be dumb.