replaced starter engine makes click sound wont start

10

Asked by Apr 17, 2017 at 08:01 PM about the 2005 Toyota Corolla S

car wouldnt start, starter would click once and not engage. Replaced the
starter, still the same problem. checked all ground wires and cleaned all
connections. also checked all the fuses, none were blown

Battery.

10

New battery, had local shop test it before I bought new starter. Reading almost thirteen volts.

32,635

IS STARRER I ALIGNED?? READ THIS...NOT BAD> Improper tooth engagement leads to a myriad of maladies: The clearance will be too tight or the teeth may not engage fully, giving you gnashing teeth instead of the hummingbird whir of a cranking engine. The best place to start is to replace the shim or shims that came out with the old starter. Don't even bother to hook up the wiring yet. Remove the sheet-metal cover over the bell housing so you can visualize the starter's teeth and the ring gear on the flywheel or flex plate. With a screwdriver, pry the bendix gear forward to engage it with the ring gear. While keeping the gears meshed, measure the gap between the teeth with a 0.032- inch wire gauge. Surprise—there might have been such a gauge included in the new starter's box. If not, a paper clip is pretty close. If the gap is less than 0.032 inch, add a shim. If it's more, remove one. You don't need to remove the starter motor to do this—that's why the shims have a slotted end. Loosen the starter bolt closest to the center of the engine, but remove the other one. The inner bolt will hold the motor up. Now you can slide the new shim in (or the old one out). Reinstall the outer bolt, tighten the inner bolt, and you can recheck the gear engagement. Occasionally, a starter motor will have proper radial clearance but still exhibit incorrect engagement. It also may be necessary to shim the bendix gear to get full engagement. I'll refer you to the shop manual.

If battery is good and you hear clicking (solenoid moving starter gear to flywheel) then probably your starter. If it was switch you wouldn't get solenoid movement. Try giving the starter a couple good whacks with a hammer while someone turns the key. That'll get you out of a tight spot a few times but you'll need to replace starter soon.

2,905

what is the sound when you turn the ignition on? is it one click only or is it like a machine gun? Do all the gauge lights light up as well? Did you replace battery cables as well? If in Southern CA....had problems with white stuff build up that reduced the cranking amps, but I believe u cleaned that. Check or replace cables, could be defective and not noticeable. Not an expensive fix

32,635

SHOULD HAVE ASKED THE IF THEY TRIED TO JUMP THE SOLENOID UNDER AT THE STARTER.................................AFTER ITS ALIGNED

10

Starter is aligned, no shims were in the old one, it was the factory starter. Get one click, and then it won't engage, same issue I was having before I replaced the starter.

10

And the starter and solenoid are one piece , solenoid is on the side of the alternator... Is it possible I got another bad starter when I bought the refurbished?

2,905

If the store/auto shop has been around for awhile, the chances are slim that you get a bad starter (10%). Are all the connections clean? The contact(s) points to solenoid and starter are rust free?

10

@1gooroo- jus bought the starter , and the solenoid is on the side of it.

10

And I have power to everything else in the vehicle, windows etc etc.....

10

@dariusk8 no rust on the contact points took ALL that apart today and checked them. Honestly at a loss here. Getting ready to throw in the towel and tow it to a shop in the morning

2,905

Have you ever reprogrammed your key fob....that may need to be done. Steps are detailed in glove box owners manual.......or here: You may have to re program the key transponder also, Sit in the driver's side of the Toyota vehicle. Press and release the brake and gas pedal simultaneously. Insert the master transponder key. (Not valet) Do not turn it. Push and release the gas pedal 5 times within at least 15 seconds of inserting the key. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times within 20 seconds of completing step 2 then remove the key. Insert the key into the ignition, but do not turn. Press the gas pedal once. Wait up to 2 minutes or whenever the security light on the dashboard turns off. Once the light goes off, remove the key and press the brake pedal once. The key should now be programmed. Test the key by attempting to start the engine.

2,905

The valet key is a different set up

10

Don't have a security light coming on in the dash. Would everything else still function if key needs to be reprogrammed?

2,905

If the engine does not start, repeat the steps above

2,905

Should not work....my similar car had all lights but no turn over/operation

2,905

Now does your fob work with the door locks? That is another set up as well??

2,905

that includes re programming the remote fob and locks, or in case that way didn't work. Sit in your drivers seat, leaving only the driver's door open and unlocked. Place your key in the ignition and pull it out quickly. You have five seconds to do this TWICE .... Shut the driver's door and open it two times. Insert your key into the ignition and immediately pull it out again. Close your door and open it twice, put the key in the ignition and close the door one more time. Turn the key to the "On" position and then turn it back off and remove it from the ignition. You have 40 seconds to do that. Listen for the door locks to cycle, which means they will lock and unlock on their own. The locks should cycle within three seconds of completing the third step. If they do not, the process was unsuccessful, and start over. (But it should work, as long as the battery in you fob is good) On your fob, hold down both the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for a second and a half. ( I have one, same generation Corolla and I tried it. Much easier using both thumbs) Release both buttons then push only the 'lock' button for two seconds, until the door locks cycle once more. Your transponder key is now programmed.

10

The key and the fob are two separate pieces. Tried with the key (twice) and got no result. Not seeing security light come on anywhere either

2,905

Lastly......I had the same problem when I bought an ecu, ignition switch ,and had a friend come to reprogram my key but the car still would not start. It ended up being the immobilizer ring under my ignition.... three mechanics couldn't figure it out .

2,905

Hope my experiences help....that is all I got for today

10

Thank u for all ur help. I'm tryin the steps u listed above a few more times before I give up. Thank u again tho, hope u have a great week

10

Security light goes off as soon as the key is inserted.....

Yes, you have a new starter, I glossed over that. Can't really help you with any security/computer issues. You might want to check your owners manual for that. But if the battery's good then turn your key on and use a screwdriver to jump the power terminal to your starter ground and see if it spins. Yes it'll spark. If it spins then starter and battery are good and it'd probably be some kind of security protocol on your computer/key interface. But check your owners manual or maybe a Haynes manual will tell you something about it. Could be there's a sequence needed to reset the starting circuit after a battery disconnection or loss of power. Seems unlikely on an '05 Corolla though.