I have a 2000 celica that won't start

Asked by Nov 08, 2015 at 10:52 PM about the 2000 Toyota Celica GTS Hatchback

The car was low on fuel and stalled,I put a few gallons in and it ran for about a
mile then died, I have changed the fuses,the fuel relay and the fuel pump and
filter. It cranks and gets fuel to the fuel rail and injectors but still won't start. It
also doesn't start with starting fluid in the throttle body. Could it be the crank
position sensor

Possibly. Hard to say for sure, but if it does not catch and run with starting fluid, then it is a spark problem. I would have said you burned up fuel pump, but you have that covered. But it's curious why it would not have spark after that. Try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6zU6jh8pNc

I had Someone read for any error codes and nothing come up, could something have gotten burned up from cranking it to try to start it when it first died

If you cranked it for extended periods of time, maybe. Long cranking times are nor good, after 10 seconds or so if it doesn't start it's not going to. Even repeated cranking for 5 seconds without letting the battery 'rest' everything gets hot and so unpredictable. It's really hard to say from behind a keyboard, without being at the car... sorry. If you did not not crank it for extended times, then no. Does it have the 1.8L 1ZZ FE or 2ZZ GE? Both are coil-on-plug, and if one coil fails it will start, but run badly. The 2ZZ GE is same displacement but a bigger piston bore and shorter stroke, allowing much higher revving, slower piston speed at same rpm. If you are not sure, if your car calls for premium 91 it's the latter. I don't even know why I'm going here, doesn't matter. I just feel inadequate and should have some answers. Make sure you do not touch gas pedal while cranking

Best Answer

It's the 1zz fe, am I waisting my time changing the crank position sensor and should I look at it as more of a spark issue

In my opinion, yes. The crank position sensor does several things, including timing, but I really don't think that is the culprit. This is very informative: http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinfo/Random%20FSM%20Data/1zzVS2zz-6.pdf