Why my Toyota Celica blower will not blow any air?

Asked by Jan 21, 2015 at 06:23 PM about the 2000 Toyota Celica GT

I can turn it on while driving warm air comes out of the vents (the outside air will flow through as warm air when its on heat) but the blower itself will not work.

Well sounds like either the fuse, the blower resistor the fan itself or the wiring . No DA right ? Start by checking the fuse , next move the blower motor . If you have a test light you can do this test fairly quick locate the blower motor should be on the right side of the car it will have 2 wires going to it one will be positive and the other will be negative. connect your test light to these wires you may need a jumper wire to reach inside the plug . If you only see one wire going to the fan it will be the positive wire and the fan case will be the ground. Once you have completed hooking up your test light with the ignition on and / or vehicle running operate the switch for the fan does the test light work ? if all is well you should see the light go from dim to bright as you move the switch from low to high. if the light does not work you will need to test the blower motor resistor. but first to confirm this. If you have a 9.6 to 14 volt battery powered drill you can use the battery in it to test the fan. Remove the battery from the drill and look at its contact points where it attaches to the drill base it should marked positive and negative you can use your test light to confirm power on it. You will need to attach jumper wires to the drill battery. With the vehicle wiring harness still disconnect from the fan attach the other end of your jumper wires to the fan, does the fan run ? If so you will need to move on to the blower resistor. If the fan does not work you have found the problem ( and you may have 2 problems that is if you completed previous test correctly) Blower resistor test : The blower resistor is normally mounted in the blower housing case air from the blower motor helps to keep the coils on the blower resistor cool. You should be able to follow the wiring from the blower motor backwards to find the resistor. the resistor will have about 4-5 wire going into it. You should have power going in to it which can be confirmed by your test light. connect one end of the test light to a good ground and use the pointed end to probe the wires as the connect to the resistor you should be able to move the fan switch from low to high and the test light " should " light up if you find power or the test light " lights up " and no power at the fan remove the blower resistor and look at it the resistor is a bunch of different gauged wires arranged in coils which gives the fan its different speed settings. Once again look at the coils are any of them burnt ? if so you have found the problem. Replace the resistor and enjoy your handy work. If this is not the case you may have a wiring issue which will take a little more time to help you with. Back to the fuse if you find a blown fuse at the beginning of your test something caused it to blow more than likely a short of some kind. Always remember " a fuse is a soldier who's only job is to protect the wiring in the circuit and die " If you find that wiring is the issue post another question I will see what I can do.