My Toyota Camry LE 4cyl car will no start.

Asked by Apr 15, 2015 at 08:37 PM about the 2002 Toyota Camry LE

Monday my car after driving it for a while would not start. My friend jump started it for me and it was working fine until Wednesday. It was working all day and when I went to the movies came out and just turned my battery on to use my radio and to charge my phone so I can chat with my friends, I tried starting it and it wouldn't start. There is no clicking sound so I'm not thinking it's the starter. Please help!

8,420

You experienced a discharged battery monday, and a no start. a jumpstart had you going and starting till wednesday, upon which you turned the car on to use the radio while also charging a phone, using the car's port. ............This all spells battery run dead by connection trouble. car running on alternator which is being used as a battery charger, (to it's detriment). but the connections are not properly connected. while jumpstarting you clamp cables onto the connections disturbing them temporarily. The trouble soon resurfaces, the battery never was serviced or inspected, or put on to be brought back to a full chargeup. Every time you attempt to start with a discharged state of charge, you are reaching into its toenail like grip, asking for just one more (deep cycling). That's bad. You need to service the battery in every way or replace it,You need to service your cables, replace the cables, or replace the cable ends. Inspect your fuses, then you can see what's left of your alternator, once you have a battery that is not drained or internally incapable, or poorly connected......Batteries can be corrected with distilled water, a wire brush, a hydrometer, and cleanup with tap water and baking soda solution used externally with caps on tight. The alternator must not be used to completely charge a battery that was dead. they are too expensive, and it eats brushes and melts slip rings, as well as overheating the part which can damage a regulator. That's just about all the answers to all the questions you are about to ask. FOC, have a great day.

8,420

The parts store offers load tests if you service it up ahead of time. they can give pass/fail and see if you even need to buy one after all your valiant efforts. Hope this is all it needs is step by step decisions and options to restore a healthy system. you had not mentioned warning lights or relay trouble, and toyotas can be tricky, requiring attention to the schematic. Hope it's simple.

22,725

You can read all that, or just have it towed to the garage- like most people do-

8,420

Sure, spend for that instead of an armload of simple tools. The next instance in your fleet, you tow and spend that again. Every car you ever own in your life with a lead acid car battery will need this maintenance to prevent these happenings. yet it seems to be what gets asked constantly. The children who take the place of the good parts people and technicians who work cheap with a different plan make your need to care for your own.

8,420

They offer the things you need to care for yours, they have them in plain sight, they have them cheap if you just want to throw things away, or they can get well made tools made in your country. This stuff is at the hardware store as well. Once you see what it takes you can do it periodically or include it in your maintenance by your technician.

15

my car is doing the same thing. I have a 2002 Camry with a brand new battery. It'll run all day and when I shut it off and try to restart it nothing happens. I have full power from my battery and I can hear the fuel pump, but nothing else when I turn the key

8,420

Edward, does your battery cable divide? is there more than one place the different legs of the main goto? If there is a power distribution center it can also divide there.Then if you look at your schematic, there's very rudimentary diagrams in haynes or chilton, but more complete ones you can find at the public library............The way toyota likes to do things, you have power supplied to your starter but it cannot crank unless the start enable circuit powers up when you turn the key to start. That enable wire gets power after a few things are satisfied, like clutch, or neutral safety, some use a starter relay, it gets power from the ignition switch. cars have different circuit maps and must have their needs met by the items in your particular circuit map that applies to your car..........Easy first step? Is the start enable powering up - when it is acting up ? If that is true, the starter should crank the engine in the start position of the key. Tapping the starter can make it begin to crank. If that happens, repair the contacts in the starter. If you cannot do this they offer remanufactured starters.

8,420

If you do not have power at start enable when all conditions are met by the driver, key turned to start, then back up from there through your circuit map, find where you have power and where you dont. including fuses, relays, connections, switch and fuse link power supplied. Clean the posts and clamps at the battery because current can flow to power a low amp load like the pump, but you could lose current flow when a greater demand like a starter draws a greater number of amps. Sizzle, pop, smoke or just-no operation can be the result. Be sure the battery posts shine and their cable end clamps are clean, shiny, and fit tight. The end clamps can be replaced with an older style if you have the chincy folded thin metal kind. The parts store has them for like 3 bucks a side. A 12v test light is like 4 bucks and a wire brush can be about the same for battery connection cleaning.

8,420

The ground side should have a leg for the cars body, the engine and these should be cleaned and tightened. current has trouble flowing without a return path provided.

1,850

Cindy...curious....what ever happened with the problem you had with this car?