Repeated P0500 code on a 2002 Toyota Camry 4cyl-2A2FE

130

Asked by Jan 06, 2014 at 08:20 PM about the 2002 Toyota Camry LE

I had a P0500 code read by dealer after check engine light came on.  The vehicle kind of surged and the motor rpm increased and I seem to loose power.  I also told them the tach and speedometer started jumping around.  This only last a minute or so and then runs normal.  They tested the vehicle speed sensor and said it was working fine and reset the light.  After driving it a couple hundred miles the light came on again and they did the same thing.  The next time it came on they decided the signal from the sensor going through the cluster (speedometer and tach) might be  where the problem lies, since the signal went through there before going to the ecm.  They could not guarantee this was the source, but it was their best diagnosis since the car would not repeat the fluctuating power problem.   I went ahead and replaced the cluster and drove it about 1 month and 250 miles before the light came on again.  It is the same code P0500. I forgot to mention that the 3rd time the check engine light came on they said they also pulled a P1730 code.  The car runs fine after the initial check engine light comes on

19,385

P1730 Intermediate shaft speed sensor This will also set the P0500

130

Where would this be located?

okay reset the trouble codes with a fifteen dollar scanner...put a brand NEW battery in that and wirebrush the lug that connects to the main chassis ground...till shiny~ you'll be okay then because "brown power" is confusing the ECM~

19,385

Near the tail shaft on the left side of the transmission.

130

Interesting about the "brown power". Wouldn't this affect other electrical components?

the heated 02 sensor will not give proper readings...(if heated) and relays will begin to drop out and stop making connections if given only 10.5 volts~ the ECU will be seeking various pre-determined voltages from the block temperature sensor, for example....so gone crazy...yes ye be~...if not provided SOLID power the 300 amps needed for the starter and about 750 milliamps ....steady amperage...not wavering with temperature and use~

without SOLID chassis ground the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) will cause the needle to bounce....for example...the instrument panel will be dim and the headlights will be dim as well....the main 1/0 cable connection with a FRESH battery is the key~

130

Thank you. I will give it a try.

3,065

Speed sensor Bottom of sensor has speedo Gear 2 screws weird plug Easy to get to

130

Thank you. Changed another speed sensor towards the rear and it seemed to solve the problem. There is a part on the bottom that may be a problem later on.

3,065

Cool did it have a gear on it that what's bad Easy to fix look topside Of the tail shaft Speedo sensor another name for it Good job fix awsu,

130

It did have a gear on it. I replaced the sensor. The gear looked OK and is working fine. I would of replaced it if I had known it was a separate part.

35

I'm having similar problems with a 2002 Camry, 4 cyl., automatic. There are two identical sensors on the transmission housing. They are the type that monitors a rotating toothed ring. The car is shifting ok but occassionly the speedometer drops to zero and the check engine light comes on. The code is P0500, Vehicle Speed Sensor. Which of the two sensors is the VSS? I have replaced both sensors with AutoZone Duralast SU4045, but I still get speedo dropping to zero and the eng. light. The code is always Vehicle Speed Sensor, never the Transmission Speed Sensor, so I would like to concentrate on the Vehicle Speed Sensor, if I knew which of the two it was! Any idea's on what the problem might be, since the sensors are new?

130

It turned out to be the sensor towards the rear of the transmission. It looks different from the front VSS. There was agear on the old one which was pulled off and placed on the new sensor,