Starting

Asked by Jun 26, 2016 at 09:53 PM about the 2001 Toyota Camry XLE

Replace battery replaced alternator key in
the ignition to auxiliary powers everything
up when turn to start no start worked fine
before I replaced alternator and battery

990

Clarification needed. When you say "no start"...do you mean no CRANK.....like the battery is dead......or....then engine cranks well...like the battery and starter motor are fine...but the engine will not fire up(start)?

Everything started fine when I got into the garage replace battery and alternator key in the ignition auxiliary is good start position no good motor doesn't turn over starter does not turn over

990

Perhaps your theft deterrent system needs to be re set after a battery disconnect. Check your Owner's Manual for procedure. Curious...why was the Battery and Alt. replaced?

Best Answer

No manual in the car did check online for procedures to reset and I theft device no luck in the reset battery is good vehicle quit running is reason for replacing the alternator

990

OK...well...I would start the diagnosis with plugging a Scan Tool into the DLC under the dash...left of steering wheel...and look for codes and a data stream. Absent this special tool....you might consider checking foe bad fuses.....under hood...under dash....left and right kick pads.

990

BTW...what engine is in this vehicle?

Will do thanks

4cyl

990

Are you the original owner of this vehicle? Would you know if this vehicle has an "After Market" Alarm System installed?

I have not found one only the factory dash light indicator

990

OK...well....my guess is a bad fuse. Must have occurred during Batt./Alt installation. Suggest you begin checking fuses located under hood and inside vehicle. Under dash....left and right side kick pads.

Right side ??? I will be there all others tested and had Continuity

990

OK...sounds like you have the use of a Digital Volt/Ohm Meter. Do you have access to a wiring diagram for this vehicle? Set the volt meter to DC volts and place the leads across the battery. You should see 12.3-12.6 volts DC. Next place the RED lead to the FAT terminal on the starter motor. You should see the same..12.3-12.6v. Then move the red lead to the small terminal on the solenoid. Have someone try to crank the engine. You should see 12.3-12.6v in the crank position. Now we need that wiring diagram. I'll see if there is one on line.

990

After reading this dialogue we are having several times and... since you are indicating a "factory dash indicator light" I'm thinking we might have to go back...and...find out how this system is reset. Toyota has employed several different systems over the years. Which one do you have?? That Owner's manual would sure come in handy. Describe the Ignition Key to me. Is the HEAD gray or black? If it has a CHIP in it...that may be bad. Do you have an extra Key? Why don't we try it??

It is a black key and the key fob works (only one) CanOBD2 scan tool hooked up and reads nothing. with key in the on position tool reads "turn key to on position " like it's not there

990

Ok...since your Scan tool is not seeing the key on....that usually means it does not see the Computer being powered up. You probably have a blown fude or bad relay. Does the Red + battery post have an extra wire coming out of it? If it does...that might be a Fusible Link .

990

Pop77....any fix found for this vehicle?